Constipation

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I've got a 3 year old cow (long horn), she was fine a week or so ago. The only thing that I first noticed is that she was staying by herself alot. When I went down to check her our the other day I noticed that she was holding her tail head up like she had to go to the bathroom but couldn't. Then she turned around and started to walk away, and could hardly move her back legs. She seems to be in alot of pain. We do have horses that sometimes kick, I don't know if she got kicked, or if something else is going on..Don't know what to do. Checked her again today and she is still holding her tail up, almost like she can't move it down. Help no vets around here. Jackie

[email protected]

Is this cow bred? It sounds like she might be in labor?

> I've got a 3 year old cow (long
> horn), she was fine a week or so
> ago. The only thing that I first
> noticed is that she was staying by
> herself alot. When I went down to
> check her our the other day I
> noticed that she was holding her
> tail head up like she had to go to
> the bathroom but couldn't. Then
> she turned around and started to
> walk away, and could hardly move
> her back legs. She seems to be in
> alot of pain. We do have horses
> that sometimes kick, I don't know
> if she got kicked, or if something
> else is going on..Don't know what
> to do. Checked her again today and
> she is still holding her tail up,
> almost like she can't move it
> down. Help no vets around here.
> Jackie

If you rule out her trying to calve, compaction is a possibility. Compaction only happens with poor feed. Grass will not cause compaction. In either case you should get her in a chute and examine her. A plastic glove will allow reaching into her rectum to determine if she is compacted. You can examine her vagina to see if she is calving.

If it is a calving problem, after this long the calf will be dead and a c-section will be needed, or a calf disection. Compaction is treated with mineral oil tubed into her rumen.

Jason Trowbridge Southern Angus Farms Alberta Canada

[email protected]

Latest posts