Consistency of manure

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
Is there any facts to what I read that if manure is firm - there is not enough protein in the diet?

I assumed that firm manure was a function of low moisture. For example, it gets loose when they go on high moisturr forage in the spring.

If it is true, my hay must not be high in protein but my cows are doing fine.

Bright Raven":2s6k67kv said:
Is there any facts to what I read that if manure is firm - there is not enough protein in the diet?

I assumed that firm manure was a function of low moisture. For example, it gets loose when they go on high moisturr forage in the spring.

If it is true, my hay must not be high in protein but my cows are doing fine.
True on spring moisture. If you can kick a turd you probably need more protein AND in winter time you are probably feeding a lot of hay that with low digestibility.

When I put my dry cows into the scrub block next door (old tin mine) in autumn their manure will increase in volume greatly and stand up a lot, plenty of lower quality feed. When I start supplementing some cottonseed meal the manure spreads out a bit more when it hits the ground, nothing like a spring pasture but it improves.

Ken

Spring grass definitely gets them runny. Around here, it tests out over 20. Problem with it is that with that high a protein, the cow cannot utilize it and their body starts producing a lot of ammonia in their urine. So much, it will burn circles in your fields from the urine spots. It will also affect their ability to conceive. The PH level is so far off normal, the sperm cannot survive. It is a major problem for me. That was the original reason we started breeding earlier and earlier, trying to get as many as possible bred BEFORE the heavy lush spring grass. Cows cycle like crazy, normal 21 type day heats, just can't conceive and it's not their fault.

I have to make sure I have a lot of junk bales (primarily prairie) for roughage when I turn the weaned calves out to the brome fields because they get major brome-butt. Same thing when that field used to be wheat (grazing on the winter wheat).

Latest posts