Considering Selling, Any Idea What They Are Worth? Herefords

Help Support CattleToday:

QueenSidhe

Reaction score
I have a 9 year old dehorned Hereford Bull. He has 100% track record for breeding- usually pasture bred. He averages about 50% bull calves, 50% heifer calves- regardless what he is bred to. Halter and bucket trained, also trained to load into a trailer.

I also have an 8 year old polled Hereford Breeding Cow. 100% track record for breeding- calf every year since age 3. Bucket trained.

I am SERIOUSLY considering selling them. There is nothing wrong with them, just my health is getting worse and they are getting to be too much to deal with as our herd has increased. Don't know what would be best bet- auction or private sale. I also don't know what a fair price is for them. Considering selling them as a breeding pair. But don't know whether would get more selling them as a pair or singely. They are pure bred, but there are no "Registration" or "Pedigree" papers on either. They are both very healthy, as gentle as can be expected for these animals. Will let you scratch their head and behind their ears when they approach the fence. We live in Western Washington just NW of Olympia (state capital).

Does anyone know what I expect to sell them for? If auction or private sale would be our best option for the best price? Any help would be appreciated. Also, if helps, weaned calves (regardless of breed) are selling on average for $ 400 each through local private sales.

im gonna give you my thoughts.a bull thats 9yrs old most likely wont sale as a breeding bull because of age.youd better off selling him through the packer sale.because thats where he will bring the most.8yr old cow should bring $500 to $700.

Yes, the bull is old and sounds like a slaughter bull. The cow may have a few calves left in her, but pictures of both would be helpful. The price will depend on their weight and condition. How do the cows calves look at weaning? If she's just an average 8 yo cow you could buy her here on Craigslist for $450 and it might be smarter to sell her at the stockyard. The prices fluctuate widely, but I usually expect to get at least $500 for an auction cow and occasionally up to $800, which makes me feel like I've won the lottery. If she's some sort of superstar who raises giant calves you might breed her and advertise on Craigslist, ask $800 and be willing to consider offers. If a newcomer wants to get their first cow and raise a calf for their kids, they would want a gentle one like yours. When we sold our last bull for slaughter he weighed 1,900 lbs. and we got just over $1,100 for him. I was very happy with that because he was unregistered and older.

Just my opinions of course!

The bull is worth whatever the slaughter cost is.

The cow could produce until 15 plus years of age and there are a lot of us folks that run them - good moms and they get it done - just because she is nearly 10 does not mean you could not get 5-7 more out of her if she has the right genetics. Folks on ranches love them cows - hobbyists tend to think they are old and done by 8-9.

Be that as it may - if she does not show well she is only worth slaughter price

So essentially you could very well have two throw aways on your place - but you also fight one common problem - "personal pasture prejudice"

So turn your back and let 'em go - be happy what you get because we raise them to kill them.

Bez+

I am actually pretty much local to you so this will be the about the closest thing you can get to a market report here. Last week at Chehalis Livestock Market Slaughter bulls ran between 45 to 53 cents a pound. Slaughter cows were 35 to 45 cents. If the cow is 5 months bred or more she might sell as a bred cow for a little more. But bred cows right now are only a little more than slaughter price. Without seeing your animals the bull is worth somewhere in the $800-$1,000 range and the cow is worth $400 to $500 depending on their condition and what they weigh.

Hope this don't hurt your feelings but bull is old and past his prime, he is only a slaughter bull, you kept him to long. The cow is going to be short and solid, she should make this calf for the next owner and then he will split the pair around 6 months and double his money.

I never keep a bull past 6yr old , if he is doing a good job at covering cows and getting them bred. If not goes sooner to slaughter. I have over the yrs bought 100's of short and solid cows calve them out and split the pair over in the next spring /summer.
Don't know how long your have raised cattle , I learned form a old school cowman. I was born with manure between my toes. Main thing , I was taught was cows are a business and they are but one part of the over all wheel. Do every thing you can to grow grass(cheep gain), do a good health program( every year) get the best genetics you can afford and Cull, Cull, Cull.
Hope you don't take offense, I am just a hard nose that hopefully learned my lessons, and I do make boo boos too.