Connealy Western Cut

Help Support CattleToday:

Air gator

Reaction score
I saw some really nice looking bulls out of Connealy Western Cut in the Albrecht/Benz sale catalog for Feb. 15. Has anyone used him?
His mother is Connealy Black Granite's mother. He seems to add some muscle with a negative BW and +9 CED.

Love him. Great style in the calves. Used a fair amount(for a small herd) and at this time nothing but rave reviews from me. Can't understand why he hasn't been promoted more. Disposition certainly isn't the best but he's more than worth it when mated correctly. Only 1 daughter in production but she raised our largest WW heifer to date with a beautiful udder & bred back 1st cycle. Have more coming into production here soon. Consistently puts a real nice hoof on them too in my experience. Extremely high on the bull and genex doesn't even have him in the spring 2018 catalog, go figure.

Thanks LSAngus,
It's funny you mention that they pulled him from the catalog. My Genex rep told me they did the same thing with Connealy Thunder at one point. I have only seen the two or three photos of WC's calves and they seem to have a lot of muscle. Genex didn't have the best photos for Sierra Cut or his mother. The old photo they had of him made him look course. I think Western Cut's marbling epd went way down. You really have to wait on those numbers so they don't change so dramatically.
Glad you had good luck with him.

Sierra cut progeny I have seen are defintely heavy muscled. I have a Sierra Cut grandson that I like. He has perfect foot shape with a real nice heel. Not an easy find by the way most Angus lack heel. Only real issues I see is that they can get a little bit straight in the hock. When used right I think bulls like Western Cut can be breed improvers in many traits. Best we don't all run one direction.

Western Cut offers plenty of muscle too in my opinion. Time will be tell on the daughters but I'm sure high on them at this time.