Connealy Counselor

Help Support CattleToday:

Other than the all too common black angus attitude a great looking, well balanced bull.
Docility 8 puts him in the bottom 1/3 of the breed and is the only reason I scratched him off my list.
But for younger guys looking to put a little excitement into working cattle he sure should sire some good ones.

UPDATE:
I just saw that despite being above average for ced Counselor's new proof dropped his daughters calving ease
CEM from breed average 8 with 54% accuracy to bottom 5% CEM 1 with 71% accuracy on 190 daughters so apparently
his 2nd crop daughters are lacking pelvic capacity and I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole as a cow maker.
Maybe they are too mean to allow calving assistance ..... but he sure posed pretty for his picture. :)

Son of Butch":frb1ihc9 said:
Other than the all too common black angus attitude a great looking, well balanced bull.
Docility 8 puts him in the bottom 1/3 of the breed and is the only reason I scratched him off my list.
But for younger guys looking to put a little excitement into working cattle he sure should sire some good ones.

UPDATE:
I just saw that despite being above average for ced Counselor's new proof dropped his daughters calving ease
CEM from breed average 8 with 54% accuracy to bottom 5% CEM 1 with 71% accuracy on 190 daughters so apparently
his 2nd crop daughters are lacking pelvic capacity and I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole as a cow maker.
Maybe they are too mean to allow calving assistance ..... but he sure posed pretty for his picture. :)
Butch, do you think that change is based on his daughters real data, or a product of the new single step EPD tabulations?

IMO - real

Bulls with only 50% accuracy are always susceptible to major changes as more and more offspring are evaluated.
Once they go over 70% changes are usually much less dramatic and imo Counselor's CEM may even improve all the way
from bottom 5% up to being as high as the bottom 1/3 of the breed. Still too low for me to even consider him given all the other options.

I can't tell a daughter's pelvic room without an internal exam and certainly not by a picture of her father.

Counselor isn't available. I checked on him a few months ago and the owners only had a few straws. Don't know whether he is alive or dead.

I've got a yearling heifer and 4 month old heifer calf out of him. Turned out not to be a great fit with my particular genetics (too small, and slow growing). The young one has a couple Arsenal bull siblings born within a couple days of her - she really looks like a runt compared to them.

Air gator":2cjm4f9c said:
Counselor isn't available. I checked on him a few months ago and the owners only had a few straws. Don't know whether he is alive or dead.
I actually have 10 straws in the tank! I sent a message to Hoover Angus about the bull and if there was any trouble calving his daughters. They advised that they really liked his daughters nice teat and udders and had no trouble with calving. Not sure why his CEM fell out so bad?

Beefeater":lmyug2d2 said:
I've got a yearling heifer and 4 month old heifer calf out of him. Turned out not to be a great fit with my particular genetics (too small, and slow growing). The young one has a couple Arsenal bull siblings born within a couple days of her - she really looks like a runt compared to them.
Beefeater, did you use him over straight Angus cows?

Yes, one was purchased from Hoover directly, with the other being either a daughter or granddaughter of a Hoover sale purchase.

Latest posts