Connealy Concord

Help Support CattleToday:

Tjm1023

Reaction score
Anyone here used Concord for replacement heifers, if so how's their phenotype and performance, thanks.

I have four Connealy Concord heifers on the ground, all purebred. They were born in March so they are only three months old, but I'm optimistic they will make good replacements. They were born problem-free, got up quickly and nursed fast. They seem docile, have good length of body, etc. I will try to post some photos within the next few days (I have had trouble figuring out how to post photos on this site). I used Concord on a heifer and a cow this spring and it appears they have conceived, so I'll have two more coming next year. Haven't heard much from ST Genetics, or anyone for that matter, on how Concord calves are doing. Would love to get some feedback from breeders who have used him.

Forgot to note that Concord is relatively unproven and probably doesn't have many females in production yet. I think he turns 3 or 4 years old in July. Haven't seen any Concord females for sale at any regional events in my neck of the woods.

Thanks, pictures would be great if you can get some. I live in northwest Wyoming so I'm trying to lower my grazing input without sacrificing performance and carcass quality and I see his marbling isn't the best but I think I can breed that into my calves I'm hoping. Also debating on using PA fortitude for replacement heifers so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I've also used PA Fortitude 2500 lightly and really like his calves, but all I have gotten from his matings are bull calves that were castrated for steers and locker beef. Very docile and grew well. I do know of a ranch here in Oregon that used Fortitude in their 2016 breeding season and sold several yearling and long yearling heifers out of him. They liked what they had seen up to that point and were going to use him again this year.

Tjm1023":1igpvx3p said:
Thanks for the help Luckiamute, would you be willing to send pictures of your heifers via email to [email protected] when you get time?
I haven't forgotten your request for the photos. Our email account provided through our Internet provider has been down for the past couple of days. I hope it is back up in the next day or so and I will get the photos off to you.

T & B farms said:
How are those concord heifers looking?
I sold all of mine in December as 9-month-olds and did well. Got $1,400 to $1,800 for them. I'm sorry I never posted any pictures; I still can't figure out how to post photos on this site (everytime I try it fails). I was really happy with how 3 of the 4 turned out ... so pleased with one of them that in the sale agreement I get to choose the breeding and take the first calf off one of them. By no means were they world-beaters, but they were some of the better weanling females I've had in the past few years. I have 2 more Concords coming this year. One just calved a week ago, a 78-pound heifer out of a first-calf heifer, and the other is due next week. They had good body length, were docile and had decent body width and muscling. I'm surprised Concord hasn't gotten more use, but there are so many bulls out there to choose from these days. Maybe he is more popular with the commercial sector because he doesn't have a lot of offspring registered. I could try and email photos of those girls if I can find them if you are still interested.

Luckiamute said:
T & B farms said:
I sold all of mine in December as 9-month-olds and did well. Got $1,400 to $1,800 for them. I'm sorry I never posted any pictures; I still can't figure out how to post photos on this site (everytime I try it fails). I was really happy with how 3 of the 4 turned out ... so pleased with one of them that in the sale agreement I get to choose the breeding and take the first calf off one of them. By no means were they world-beaters, but they were some of the better weanling females I've had in the past few years. I have 2 more Concords coming this year. One just calved a week ago, a 78-pound heifer out of a first-calf heifer, and the other is due next week. They had good body length, were docile and had decent body width and muscling. I'm surprised Concord hasn't gotten more use, but there are so many bulls out there to choose from these days. Maybe he is more popular with the commercial sector because he doesn't have a lot of offspring registered. I could try and email photos of those girls if I can find them if you are still interested.

Registered I assume? Good to hear you liked them. I have thought about using sexed concord on some of my best heifers. I agree, so many options out there it makes it hard to decide.

T & B farms said:
Luckiamute said:
T & B farms said:

Registered I assume? Good to hear you liked them. I have thought about using sexed concord on some of my best heifers. I agree, so many options out there it makes it hard to decide.
Yes, the ones I got $1,400 to $1,800 for were registered.

Latest posts