Confronting a boss-update

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
born2run":2v29d26k said:
How many hours are you supposed to be working, versus how many do you work?
They want me at 100 hours a pay period, or 7.75/shift. While this generally is possible, there are nights that I run up to 8 1/2 hours. Again, generally I can keep within what they want. What I am tired of is the constant nagging and distrust. And what do I do about the nights that I run over that? Assume I work for free?
Do you just get paid for a certain amount of hours per night/per week? Is it that they aren't paying you for the alloted time, or just not paying you for time over the alloted time?
I'm not entirely sure, and this is a source of frustration for me. I can try my level best to keep within the 100 hours, and she'll still dock me to 96 or 97. I can't figure out what they want. I have had more than one discussion with her, with it ending, "I understand and I'll do my best to keep it within that." Go pick up the check and find it to be docked, even though I have kept track and worked more than that.

Myself I would fire you ,you clearly stated you are expected to work a 7.75 hour day not over that. Sounds like you are ineffiecient. Are the employers authorizing your overtime, are you just staying over because you didn't get the work done in your shift and know you think you should be paid for staying over.

Caustic Burno":usicw57g said:
born2run":usicw57g said:
How many hours are you supposed to be working, versus how many do you work?
They want me at 100 hours a pay period, or 7.75/shift. While this generally is possible, there are nights that I run up to 8 1/2 hours. Again, generally I can keep within what they want. What I am tired of is the constant nagging and distrust. And what do I do about the nights that I run over that? Assume I work for free?
Do you just get paid for a certain amount of hours per night/per week? Is it that they aren't paying you for the alloted time, or just not paying you for time over the alloted time?
I'm not entirely sure, and this is a source of frustration for me. I can try my level best to keep within the 100 hours, and she'll still dock me to 96 or 97. I can't figure out what they want. I have had more than one discussion with her, with it ending, "I understand and I'll do my best to keep it within that." Go pick up the check and find it to be docked, even though I have kept track and worked more than that.

Myself I would fire you ,you clearly stated you are expected to work a 7.75 hour day not over that. Sounds like you are ineffiecient. Are the employers authorizing your overtime, are you just staying over because you didn't get the work done in your shift and know you think you should be paid for staying over.

Well got to throw the BS flag up here....
CB if you had ever worked in a dairy you would know,
THINGS HAPPEN
These are animals, not a factory job where you clock in and clock out.
You hobby guys kill me...

MD

born2run":3iele6w0 said:
Salary pay for me, upped workload, flexible hours. Both boss and I are happy. :)

Glad it worked out.
Great to see young people that want a "upped workload" and are honest about doing their job the right way the first time.
Now get to work....
MD

redfornow":3mhkt9jf said:
Caustic Burno":3mhkt9jf said:

THINGS HAPPEN

MD

I gotta agree. CB of all people should know that things don;t alwasy take a given amount of time when working with livestock.
A few cows that get balky when they're going into the parlor, pressure washer hose break, the list goes on and on. It isn;t like working at wlmrt

dun

born2run":161imceb said:
Salary pay for me, upped workload, flexible hours. Both boss and I are happy. :)

Hope getting salary pay doesn't backfire on you, always work more hours than they pay you for on salary, could be just their way of getting more work out of you, and actually paying you less when its all said and done.

GMN

dun":3ascihvg said:
redfornow":3ascihvg said:
Caustic Burno":3ascihvg said:

THINGS HAPPEN

MD

I gotta agree. CB of all people should know that things don;t alwasy take a given amount of time when working with livestock.
A few cows that get balky when they're going into the parlor, pressure washer hose break, the list goes on and on. It isn;t like working at wlmrt

dun

If my Daddy had hired someone for 7.75 hours a shift/day whatever, and that someone left things undone because something did come up, he'd have fired their hides for not taking the initiative to stay and get the job finished. Ya' don't just leave a cow standing in the barn waiting to get milked because the whistle blows.

My Daddy always paid a salary and provided housing because it isn't an 8-5 job. And, until the day he died, he was in the barn himself every day.

Alice

GMN":2wzowjj8 said:
born2run":2wzowjj8 said:

Hope getting salary pay doesn't backfire on you, always work more hours than they pay you for on salary, could be just their way of getting more work out of you, and actually paying you less when its all said and done.

GMN

Agree with this also. I see alot of weekend work in your future. I made the mistake of going from hourly to salary once. Offered me about $100 a week more than my 40 hr pay was. All of a sudden, every job had to be finished that day, overtime jobs started occurring much more frequently than before, one of the other guys didnt finish his job, I had to pick up his slack. As it was put to me, doesn't cost the company anymore to work you 12 hrs a day and weekends than it does to work you 40 hrs a week. Needless to say, I went back to hourly pay very quickly, and you wouldnt believe how fast the overtime dried up!

Maybe you can work out some comp time with them. If you get in there and everything goes smoothly and you finish up in 7 hrs, take the rest of the shift off.

He made two things clear with me last night. One was refusing to answer my phone for p/t workers. "We have five f/t people here, and five p/t. The p/t people are here to give you guys a break." I've seen the two guys on salary, and they just won't come in when called. Evidently I have clearance to do the same. I do not have a set time to complete work in...obviously milking I do but everything else can be done at my own pace. Also about taking off like I need to on the 13th. I'll find a replacement to milk, go in for 1 1/2-2 hours and get my other work done, than get a two day weekend out of the deal. Again, something the other salary pay workers do occasionally.

To me the stress of not being pushed by a timeclock is well worth the upped workload. I'm young, strong, and healthy. They pay all my health insurance too, which just had their premiums hiked. They wanted to keep me, that was obvious. I couldn't be happier with the way it all worked out.

dun":281j9us2 said:
redfornow":281j9us2 said:
Caustic Burno":281j9us2 said:

THINGS HAPPEN

MD

dun

Dun you of all people should know if the guy was putting in time without permission he was stealing from the owners. It is plain and simple you hire a man and he agrees to work for a certain time are you responsible for paying the bum if he works over with out permission. You must be a lot more free with your money than I am with mine.

If someone is regularly taking longer then expected to finish the assigned work I would want to know why and would make corrections for it. The corrections could be to anything from firing to adjusting pay with a lot of stops in between the two extremes. But if he/she walked offwithout finishing the work that was required, there would only be one option.
Unfortunatly all we have here is one side of the issue, there is at least one other side and maybe 4-5 others besides.

dun

I wasn't the only one taking longer, but because I was the highest hourly paid worker I was the one getting docked. Plain and simple. I asked them point blank last night if they thought I was taking advantage of them, and they responded with, "we have never thought that." I'm quite sure that they'd have a different side to tell you, but the important thing is that it's all been resolved with them and I both happy. Thanks for the input everyone!

dun":1hak0xvr said:
Unfortunatly all we have here is one side of the issue, there is at least one other side and maybe 4-5 others besides.

dun

Things like this are hard to give advise, because like you said there can be so many sides of the story. Some people do not get their work done in a timely manner due to the fact they are slow and unproductive. And others do not get their work done in the time allotted because they were given to much to do in such a short term.

I base my decisions on closely watching how hard of a worker they are and the fact that I have did the same job for 20 + years and know how long it should take. Cows can be different than cleaning toilets, but if the work load is correct they should be getting things done in the time frame most of the time.

Caustic Burno":4pn9hsih said:
dun":4pn9hsih said:
redfornow":4pn9hsih said:
Caustic Burno":4pn9hsih said:

THINGS HAPPEN

MD

dun

Dun you of all people should know if the guy was putting in time without permission he was stealing from the owners. It is plain and simple you hire a man and he agrees to work for a certain time are you responsible for paying the bum if he works over with out permission. You must be a lot more free with your money than I am with mine.

yet another thing CB (fred from now on) is wrong about.

Wow before long this could get like your quotes it could take up a whole tread.
Good job fred sanford way to prove my point

CB is the fred sanford of cattlemen
Mildly amusing
always combative
and right, in his own mind....

As always enjoy the hobby

MD

Caustic Burno":3dvx2z2a said:

I wouldn't be so quick to accuse someone of stealing without knowing the full story, which none of us really do. Maybe it's the employer that was doing the stealing. Let's say the employer gives someone 8 hrs to do a job that they know will take longer. They also know the employee is diligent enough to stick around till the job is done. If they don't pay the employee for that extra time then they are stealing from him.

VanC":35tl9c9q said:
Caustic Burno":35tl9c9q said:

I wouldn't be so quick to accuse someone of stealing without knowing the full story, which none of us really do. Maybe it's the employer that was doing the stealing. Let's say the employer gives someone 8 hrs to do a job that they know will take longer. They also know the employee is diligent enough to stick around till the job is done. If they don't pay the employee for that extra time then they are stealing from him.[/quote]

Oh yeah! Oh he11 yeah!

Alice

Alice":1wgq1oae said:
VanC":1wgq1oae said:
Caustic Burno":1wgq1oae said:

I wouldn't be so quick to accuse someone of stealing without knowing the full story, which none of us really do. Maybe it's the employer that was doing the stealing. Let's say the employer gives someone 8 hrs to do a job that they know will take longer. They also know the employee is diligent enough to stick around till the job is done. If they don't pay the employee for that extra time then they are stealing from him.[/quote:1wgq1oae]

Oh yeah! Oh he11 yeah!

Alice
[/quote]

Why are you so quick to defend the whiner if he had been a man he would have went to his employer and had a clear understanding of his job duties and working hours and how he was to be paid. He wouldn't have been airing it on an open forum .

I think he did right by going to his supervisor. It is his supervisors job to deal with the upper mgt. Chain of command per se.

VanC":g1rmarq2 said:
Caustic Burno":g1rmarq2 said:

Maybe it's the employer that was doing the stealing. Let's say the employer gives someone 8 hrs to do a job that they know will take longer. They also know the employee is diligent enough to stick around till the job is done. If they don't pay the employee for that extra time then they are stealing from him.

VanC - I understand what you're saying, but it depends entirely on company/employer policy, whether the employee is hourly vs salaried (and is in compliance with the states labor laws concerning that designation), whether overtime has to be approved, and whether the state is pro-employer or pro-employee. Unfortunately, those are the facts. In more than one instance, an employee either has to accept it and deal with it or move on to another job. I sincerely hope BorntoRun will still be equally happy with her situation in 6 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts