Conformation

Help Support CattleToday:

Double R Ranch

Reaction score
I was at the county fairs this year and was interested in hearing what the judges are looking for conformation wise. I know what I "like" in the look of a cow but was wondering what everyone here's opinions are of conformation of cattle. What is good/bad etc.
We have some great steers (in my opinion) that I was thinking would be great for some kids that have been begging me to sell them steers. I just can't get an answer as to what is involved with 4h-ffa shows. Can anyone fill me in on what conformation is standard (I know all judges are different as well as all breeds) and if there are parents or kids on here can you tell me how you go about the whole process. From picking your animal (saw a heifer class to) to what you do in raising and caring and grooming. Also if anyone knows what classes are generally available.
I have a really nice (IMO) heifer that I would love to have shown or show myself but I want to retain her so I am not sure if that is possible. Like at state fair or something to show the kind of stock we have now.
Just want some info and opinions.
Thanks!
Double R

Yes. Sorry I didn't specify! Duhhhh. It was late when I posted. Sorry. Yes beef cattle. Mine are Angus that would be shown. Com. or Reg.
Double R

You would have more responses on the show board.
Breeding females/bulls need to be registered. Youth can show commercial cattle at youth shows.
Basics: Must be structurally sound, well muscled, lots of volume, put together in a smooth package.
Unacceptable traits: pinched behind shoulders (heart girth), roach back, loin dips in front of hips, gutless, shallow in flank.
Conformation for a show is the same (or should be) as any animal you want to keep as a breeder. You start at the feet and work your way up. Needs to exhibit breed and sex characteristics. Bulls should be well endowed and females should look like a female - not a steer.
Check out the show board. Lots of info.
Showing is a lot of work. Halter break, clipping, hair training. Lots of grooming products & gimmicks. If you do your homework at home, shouldn't need to do much to them at a show.
We "blow & show" using very little if any adhesive.

The site that Nova gave you is a good one. A lot of it depends on what the judge likes too-different judges like different styles of animals, just like different producers. But generally, you want your animal to be feminine (or masculine if a bull of course :lol: ), clean cut, good depth, straight but not posty legs, good muscling, width, length, a smooth topline, good blending (at the shoulders, tailhead, etc.). I am sure I left some things out but there's the basics! I am sure if you post some pictures you could get some comments-people on here are great about critiquing animals. But be prepared for honest answers :D

Thanks guys. I am looking into the show board. I also printed out the pdf file to read while waiting around at the auction tomorrow.
Double R

Latest posts