confederate memorial day

Help Support CattleToday:

Without looking I'd be willing to bet you that the Third National is waving in the breeze at our courthouse this very minute.

Alacattleman, I owe you a beer cause I was wrong. They had the battle flag flying at half mask.

flag.jpg

Ryder":2jkbtqfa said:
Deo Vindice

My avatar speaks for me.
No. We are not forgetting. Not as long as one of us is left.

Salute, :clap: :clap: :clap:

Jogeephus":1cv9bfww said:
Alacattleman, I owe you a beer cause I was wrong. They had the battle flag flying at half mask.

flag.jpg
alabama is more whipped then you guys,,,i aint seen the confederate flag flown at our or any court house, since forever.... and that monument would give al sharpton a stroke :cowboy:

I guess I'll never know if I don't ask, but is this a real on-the-calendar, hallmark card recognized day with parades and time and a half on the time sheet type of day?

angie":2fio134k said:
I guess I'll never know if I don't ask, but is this a real on-the-calendar, hallmark card recognized day with parades and time and a half on the time sheet type of day?
you wont see it celebrated in yankeeville, but yes its on the calendar

alacattleman":djntw4yd said:
alabama is more whipped then you guys,,,i aint seen the confederate flag flown at our or any court house, since forever.... and that monument would give al sharpton a stroke

No, they haven't whooped us yet cause we still have the Ten Commandments mounted on the wall inside the courthouse as well. I guess this makes us bad people.

angie":djntw4yd said:

Yes, its a state holiday here. To many people died to forget them.

http://georgiainfo.galileo.usg.edu/confmem.htm

jo.. my great great grandfather was a sargeant col. in the 24th georgia, he was from gwinnett co. he settled in Fort Payne

Don't know that I've ever heard of anyone celebrating it over here, but just about every courthouse I've ever seen does have a statue of a Confederate Soldier on the lawn facing South. ;-)

We have a pretty strong chapter of the Sons (and Daughters) of the Confederacy. Their main emphasis is to try to collect as much information as they can before its forgotten. They do a tremendous job locating the burial sites of both soldiers and what few slaves were in our area. Once they locate a burial site they will mark the graves to keep them from being destroyed. They notified me about two gravesites on some land I manage and together we found them, fenced them off and they keep them maintained in a fairly respectable manner given its all volunteer. When money is available, the CSA headstones are placed on the graves. All total, I have six graveyards and two draft dodger camps. I've mapped them and even built roads to some of them. About once a year I'll get a call from someone - usually out of state - who is tracing their geneology and I'll show them the gravesite they are looking for. Most are flabergasted and appreciative when they are led onto a property they never knew existed and find the grave of their forgotten ancestor in a maintained graveyard in the middle of nowhere. I guess that is pretty cool come to think of it. But that's what they do as well as marching in the parade in their uniforms.

Latest posts