Confederate Barbed Wire

Help Support CattleToday:

Around here its called "Bid a Bit" thorn, because you aint going anywhere for a bit when you get tangled up in it. Even beagles won't work through a thicket. And dont try to ride a horse through it. You and the horse and the three or four people who come to rescue you will need transfusions.
Hope you heal quickly and with only "Manly" scars.
Judge Sharpe

Around here the saw briar is just a low growing clumpy trailing tight of plant that will saw your foot off if you get a toe hooked under it and keep walking. Other then blackberry thickets the worst thing we have to get through is gooseberry thickets. They look so innocent until you dive into them. And off course they have to tease you with the delicious fruit so you keep on getting further and further in.

This place has an exceptional amount of smilax on it. The vines are about 12 feet tall and intertwined with muscadine. Walking through it is nearly impossible. I think I need a kevlar suit cause nothing will stop them. My shirts look like rags but thankfully its not the worst place I've ever walked through. In my opinion the very worst thing is a rhododendron he77. I've been in one of these and it was intertwined with some smilax. It definitely lived up to its name. Maneuvering through it was nearly impossible. Thankfully these things are reserved for you folks in the mountain regions.

ga.prime":2okj6g73 said:
[
The sprouts are very tender and deer and cows will readily nip them off when they first sprout out of the ground up till they're two or three feet tall which only takes a couple of days. They don't stay tender for long though as I'm sure you know.

Looks like we don't have any deer or cows around here!!!! :lol2:

We call it cat claw vine and when you get in it call the preacher 'cuz only God can get you out and no one person can pray hard enough or quick enough. Bad stuff that my grandmother still digs up out of her flower beds and puts on the burn pile. Oh, and don't think you'll ever get rid of it either, God blessed us by putting us in the South but there are trade-offs...

Flacowman":egogczyc said:
We call it cat claw vine and when you get in it call the preacher 'cuz only God can get you out and no one person can pray hard enough or quick enough. Bad stuff that my grandmother still digs up out of her flower beds and puts on the burn pile. Oh, and don't think you'll ever get rid of it either, God blessed us by putting us in the South but there are trade-offs...

I've learned a trick your grandmother can use to kill it in her flower beds if any get out of hand. If you pull the vine down and place it on the ground in a safe area keeping it attached to the root a good strong dose of herbicide will kill it root and all. BTW - don't use something like Remedy or Garlon on it if you are spraying around azaleas cause this chemical is extremely effective on azaleas no matter how big they are. :oops: :lol2:

Latest posts