Confederate Barbed Wire

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
I went for a nice leisurely stroll in the woods today and had the pleasure of walking through about a mile or so of smilax. The yankees called it confederate barbed wire and after 150 years its just as effective as ever. I'm getting too old for this $hit. If this doesn't look bad enough you should see my back. My wife is gonna think I had a wild romp with a wild woman then I will be bleeding.

IMG_4578.jpg

It looks bad to me, I have been shreded while bush hogging. I am getting to old for sure, the older I get the easier and more I bleed. Campho-phenique an turpintine will heal you fast. Is green briar the same as devils briar.

You still wear a watch? I was mowing with the tree cutter yesterday and had so much smilax wrapped around the tractor it looked like a big green cocoon.

That must be some bad stuff. I've never heard of it. Will it cut through a long sleeve shirt?

Yikes! Looks like you were attacked by an angry rabid cat or something. Glad we don't have that stuff around here. Is it just sharp or does it have irritant/inflammatory properties too?

Wow, I never really thought about people not having smilax. If anybody ever figures out a lucrative use for the stuff, I'm sitting on a goldmine!

farmwriter":3swrsjyt said:
Wow, I never really thought about people not having smilax. If anybody ever figures out a lucrative use for the stuff, I'm sitting on a goldmine!
I always thought maybe you could sell the giant tubers to somebody because they look like huge water chestnuts. Have to cut em with a chainsaw is the only problem.

Hey Jo, did you say that you got tangled up with some smilax or a chain saw? Anything around here with thorns is fair game for the sprayer or a chainsaw!

ga.prime":fjp721n8 said:
farmwriter":fjp721n8 said:
I always thought maybe you could sell the giant tubers to somebody because they look like huge water chestnuts. Have to cut em with a chainsaw is the only problem.
My mother-in-law grew up very hard and she said they actually cut and peeled the vines and boiled them like pole beans. Things like that make me realize how spoiled I am.

Well Jo, at least you were having a leisurely walk - can you imagine if you had hit it at a faster pace :shock: .
Have you ever wondered why accidents happen? You will have a clear run for a while and then all of a sudden something like this happens. Is it because we loose concentration for a brief moment or is it some little imp or something that says "Ha, today is Jo's day, lets put him to the test" :lol: . There are days when you wake up and you get an odd feeling or premonition that something is going to happen or a little voice warns you just before the accident but you don't listen to it. Or is it as simple as 'karma' as so many say?

Ryder":27y72xbz said:
I ain't jo, but I would say any or all of the above, and then some.
I thought it might be like the guy that was banging his head on the wall. When he was asked why he did it he replied "cause it feels so good when I stop"

farmwriter":6x4dn43g said:
ga.prime":6x4dn43g said:
farmwriter":6x4dn43g said:
My mother-in-law grew up very hard and she said they actually cut and peeled the vines and boiled them like pole beans. Things like that make me realize how spoiled I am.
The sprouts are very tender and deer and cows will readily nip them off when they first sprout out of the ground up till they're two or three feet tall which only takes a couple of days. They don't stay tender for long though as I'm sure you know.

ga.prime":19beyjob said:
The sprouts are very tender and deer and cows will readily nip them off when they first sprout out of the ground up till they're two or three feet tall which only takes a couple of days. They don't stay tender for long though as I'm sure you know.
We have a few LHs in with our cattle, and they'll eat on them a little from time to time when the shoots are new.

Latest posts