concrete, rubber, or galvanized tanks?

Help Support CattleToday:

pdubdo

Reaction score
2nd post on this project: Really trying to make an old industrial tire work, but after it leaks everywhere (it was free), and can't cut the sidewalls with sawzall or chainsaw I'm about giving up (see my other post on this). Prob gonna buy a 250-300 gal stock tank instead. I'm leaning towards concrete but I want something that I don't have to replace every few years. What do y'all prefer and tips to keep them lasting years (or decades?). Thanks!

Tractor or combine tires work best. and IMO are simplest troughs to make . They will outlast you if done correct. 30bucks of sakrete and plumbing and your done. I set up a new one last weekend The hardest part was getting it level and centered under the fence line . took about 5 or 10 min to cut and about 10 min to pack the concrete in the hole . filled with water and done

Concrete troughs. Will last for the next 50 years plus. But...be really sure on your location. Moving ours this summer will be a PITA. Need to be moved away from pond.

I wish we would have had the benefit of forums like this 30 years ago we would have saved a ton of money. Over the years we have had metal, Rubbermaid and finally concrete. Concrete is the best by far. Like someone else said be sure you know where you want it they are Buggers to move. I have heard good things about stock tanks out of big tires just have no experience with them.

Gizmom

I advise against plastic. I had one that lasted a year before the cows had it destroyed. It was supposed to be one of the better tanks also

Galvanized in the summer
Black plasticized rubber in winter
Concrete ( with pad , as mentioned ) if there is little chance you will ever move it
Tires if that's what fits the budget

Just a little tip for plastic tanks. If you have them next to an electric fence, take polywire & tie to fence, wrap around the outside lip of tank, and tie back to fence. Cattle won't have any trouble drinking out of it, but they sure as heck won't push on it. I learned that lesson years ago when we ran a bull (Macho). He loved to push on everything.

Behind our house we have a heavy implement tire laying on its side with the side wall cut out. Poured concrete in the bottom with a stainless nipple and a heavy stainless float. This is the field we keep the bulls in during the off season and so far we haven't had a trouble.

Latest posts