Concrete posts

Help Support CattleToday:

Tegerian

Reaction score
I've been looking at some corral/working pen designs and got to thinking why not replace the posts with concrete, you can get those tube forms in just about any size add those to a little re-bar and it would seem to be a solid solution since ya wouldn't have to worry about rot or rust, but before I did anything I thought I would see if anyone else has tried this or has any input.

Years ago I saw a show where a dairy farm used PVC pipe filled with concrete for posts. Never tried it but thought it was a different idea. They really liked it as the pipe helped to resist damage to the posts.

Thanks for the inputs, I was thinking that for attaching the rails you could pre-set some L bolts in the form then when it was set use U bolts resting on the L bolts for mounting the boards. The big thing as some of you pointed out is cost so I'll have to do some figuring the pen requires a total of about 36 posts (See the link below if you want to see the pen setup I have in mind) so the initial cost might be a big decider even though I think it might pay off in the long run.

http://www.ag.ndsu.nodak.edu/abeng/plans/5796.pdf

You can buy concrete fence posts you can also get them to form up what you want. Not sure of the minimum order is but there are several farms around here that have them.

Good to know I'll look into that as well, wouldn't want to do a whole fenceline in them just the working pen and maybe a corral.

Look around for some feed trough manufacturers. Most of these are made by concrete fabricators and they can make about anything you want.

Latest posts