Conceal Carry weapon for the wife

Help Support CattleToday:

boondocks":1uzzlvsk said:
I have an (extended) family member who was a visiting nurse and was attacked at a home visit. (No, not in a city. She served a rural population). Might I suggest a highly-recommended book: http://www.nytimes.com/books/first/b/becker-fear.html
It's The Gift of Fear, by Gavin DeBecker, about re-training yourself to not ignore your instincts. I would say some martial arts or self-defense classes might also help. (I'm not saying don't carry a gun necessarily, just that you might need other skillsets as well).
Armed or not, always keep your head on a swivel.

greybeard":2j1l6drm said:
Armed or not, always keep your head on a swivel.
Situational awareness is always (or should be) at the top of the list.
In simple terms, "Pay attention dammit"

boondocks":2uu47pw3 said:
I have an (extended) family member who was a visiting nurse and was attacked at a home visit. (No, not in a city. She served a rural population). Might I suggest a highly-recommended book: http://www.nytimes.com/books/first/b/becker-fear.html
It's The Gift of Fear, by Gavin DeBecker, about re-training yourself to not ignore your instincts. I would say some martial arts or self-defense classes might also help. (I'm not saying don't carry a gun necessarily, just that you might need other skillsets as well).
That is a great book! I may have offended people over the years but if I have a gut feeling something or someone is "not right" I either leave the situation or draw attention.

My pea shooter is a S&W 357 mag revolver. It was my grandpa's service gun when he was a state trooper in the 70's. It is nowhere near a CC gun though. I plan to eventually get myself a nice Kimber Micro .380 ACP. In fact, I named my daughter Kimber becuase I wanted one, but knew with her coming along, it would be a while until I could get one.

I learned to shoot during an era when they would not allow an auto on the law enforcement range- so became sold on revolvers which is what I told my wife to shoot.. And I taught her how to shoot both a timed self defense course in double action and bullseye shooting in single action.. She became quite proficient and brought home a lot of medals and trophy's from pistol shoots.. All her shooting was done with Smith and Wesson revolvers- which was the only thing I owned or carried for years..

So when she was looking for a concealed carry for in her vehicle and purse I looked to a Smith and Wesson Model 638 .38 +P Airweight ..This offered her the shrouded hammer for single action shooting and allows for getting off quick self defense shots.. And its compact enough to fit into her purse or console of her vehicle.. She can throw a couple of speedloaders in her purse and be packing 15 rounds..

And after seeing how nice and light and easy to carry it was- I purchased one for myself- since you can carry it all day in an inside the waist band holster or slip it in your pocket.. I prefer the speed strips myself- as they carry without any weight or bulge..
If I'm out where I'm open carrying I still pack the Model 19 2 1/2 .357 or the Model 13 4" .357--- but for everyday concealed carry- you can't beat the little Smith revolvers..

I bought my wife an lcp like Craig did and same thing wife couldn't work the slide. Then I bought her a pink Taurus that looks almost like an lcp ,but the slide and trigger are much easier for her.
The gun she likes to shoot the most is my single six Ruger .22

Boot Jack Bulls":2e17c68k said:
My pea shooter is a S&W 357 mag revolver. It was my grandpa's service gun when he was a state trooper in the 70's. It is nowhere near a CC gun though. I plan to eventually get myself a nice Kimber Micro .380 ACP. In fact, I named my daughter Kimber becuase I wanted one, but knew with her coming along, it would be a while until I could get one.
Off topic warning:

That last sentence made me think of something...
My nephew is dating a girl, whose former husband named her 2 kids (a boy & girl) :
Cope, and Hagen.
That's about as redneck as you can get.

Glock 42 or Ruger LC 380 hard to beat for lite accurate concealed carry that you can hold on to. The pocket rockets like the LCP etc. can be pretty snappy on the hand.
For the ladies a Ruger LCR in 327 mag would be a bad boy as well.

Caustic Burno":16w6w0r4 said:
Glock 42 or Ruger LC 380 hard to beat for lite accurate concealed carry that you can hold on to. The pocket rockets like the LCP etc. can be pretty snappy on the hand.
The first time my wife shot the LCP, the slide bit her, she kept on shooting though. She just couldn't work the slide.

Believe it or not she likes to shoot my Colt Trooper MK IV .357 loaded with .38s though. I think its so heavy she doesn't get any recoil.
I always said the LCP .380 is almost like a bomb going off in your hand. I bought her a Taurus .38 revolver but she couldn't shoot it double action, she has to pull the hammer back, and I worry about her letting the hammer down if she doesn't shoot...
So she carries the pink Taurus semi auto.
She walks a lot on our long driveway and we are right beside Hwy 67, and I am pretty sure the dregs of society travel that highway daily. In fact I know they do.

danl":2zat1t76 said:
Caustic Burno":2zat1t76 said:
The first time my wife shot the LCP, the slide bit her, she kept on shooting though. She just couldn't work the slide.

Believe it or not she likes to shoot my Colt Trooper MK IV .357 loaded with .38s though. I think its so heavy she doesn't get any recoil.
I always said the LCP .380 is almost like a bomb going off in your hand. I bought her a Taurus .38 revolver but she couldn't shoot it double action, she has to pull the hammer back, and I worry about her letting the hammer down if she doesn't shoot...
She walks a lot on our long driveway and we are right beside Hwy 67, and I am pretty sure the dregs of society travel that highway daily. In fact I know they do.

None of the pocket rockets are fun to shoot or a tactical weapon. They are get off me guns.
None are going to shoot as well as Model 1911 70 series or fun to practice with.
In the pocket rockets your looking for one you can hold on too and hide.
If your in a serious gun fight you need to hide cause you are almost certainly outgunned.

Caustic Burno":3c08n3if said:
danl":3c08n3if said:
Caustic Burno":3c08n3if said:

None of the pocket rockets are fun to shoot or a tactical weapon. They are get off me guns.
None are going to shoot as well as Model 1911 70 series or fun to practice with.
In the pocket rockets your looking for one you can hold on too and hide.
If your in a serious gun fight you need to hide cause you are almost certainly outgunned.
On this I will agree with Caustic.
Will also add that for people who can't pull the slide back they can get someone else to do that for them and keep the gun loaded, cocked, safety on if it has one, and ready. In my ever so humble opinion :hat: that is how the gun should be kept anyway. In a tight situation having to take time to rack the slide could be bad for your health.

Sometimes though, just the sound of that slide being racked is enough! It seems to be one of those sounds that most mammals just have an instinctual reaction to. Ears perk, eyes widen...thinks about next step to take. Most people, even those who never use guns, will have a visceral reaction to the rack of a slide or cock of a hammer if they are not the one doing it.

Boot Jack Bulls":26tiz5m2 said:
Sometimes though, just the sound of that slide being racked is enough! It seems to be one of those sounds that most mammals just have an instinctual reaction to. Ears perk, eyes widen...thinks about next step to take. Most people, even those who never use guns, will have a visceral reaction to the rack of a slide or cock of a hammer if they are not the one doing it.

If your gun isn't ready to fire, " in condition one " your better off doing nothing. Not being ready is a good way to get killed.

True Grit Farms":1305giez said:
Boot Jack Bulls":1305giez said:

If your gun isn't ready to fire, " in condition one " your better off doing nothing. Not being ready is a good way to get killed.
True enough. I was simply noting the reaction that specific sound gets...

True Grit Farms":2o4fsijr said:
Boot Jack Bulls":2o4fsijr said:

Always cocked and locked

Caustic Burno":t40jtif6 said:
True Grit Farms":t40jtif6 said:
Boot Jack Bulls":t40jtif6 said:

Always cocked and locked

That fine, but as I mentioned in another thread, I don't conceal carry at this time. I have a 3 1/2 year old in my house, so nothing is kept "cocked and locked" or anything close to it.

Latest posts