Conceal Carry weapon for the wife

Help Support CattleToday:

crop hail

Reaction score
With all the recent posts about conceal and open carry and permitless carry, i thought that i might get afew good suggestions from some of the gun "nuts" er experts on here!!! My wife works in the home health industry and is on the road constantly and is at peoples houses alone with them. We are in a very rural non urban area, most of her patients are elderly and most of them are former ranchers,farmers etc. (good old country people). But there is the occasional situation where she feels uncomfortable and i would feel better if she at least had a gun in her car with her. I am an avid hunter but i am not really a pistol guy. I own 2 of them but they were my grandfathers and they stay in the gunsafe. I carry a savage 243 in my truck everywhere i go ( mostly to shoot pos feral hogs).

What would be some good options for handguns for her? She has shoot a single action revolver and does not like it. She kind of wants a semi auto of some sort. What do y'all suggest?

M-5":3jyb9q4t said:
best thing for you to do Is go to the range and let her try as many as she can. One size does not fit all when it comes to women and what they like shooting.

Prior to my wife getting her LTC she went to the required classroom class, then I sent her to a paid live fire instructor. I knew we would probably divorce if I tried to teach her, so she took his instruction and qualified with him. She only remembers it being a 380 she rented for the training course. From there she shot everything I owned and didn't like any of them. Three ranges and three rentals later she bought a Glock 42 as her carry gun. Seems to like it really well.

Started with a ruger lcp. She couldn't rack it. I just bought an Taurus 38 special. It is double acting revolver 5 shot and shoots real nice. She Needs to try a few like everybody else has said

Craig Miller":2fyyblqi said:
Started with a ruger lcp. She couldn't rack it. I just bought an Taurus 38 special. It is double acting revolver 5 shot and shoots real nice. She Needs to try a few like everybody else has said
That is the one the Mrs settled on and is dead on with. I think it is a M85 copy of S&W J Model.
She can shoot and operate my 1911's great until she has to rack the slide.
My compact has a 24# spring just too much for her arthritic hands.
She carries Buffalo Bore or Winchester old FBI loads 158 HP semi wad cutters in it.

My wife carries a "Lady Smith" 38 in her purse, a .380 Sig in her boot, and Springfield XD .45 in her console. Last I checked, she still had her winter time truck rifle on board as well. No, she's not scared of anything. lol

If she is going to keep it in the car she should not have a shortage of choices.
I have only shot a few different ones but the Glock 42 was nice along with the Springfield XDS 9mm.

I did not like the little Ruger LCP .380 as it seemed jumpy.

I like the small smith model 637 airweight double action 38 special. A lot less recoil than the 40, and 9mm. and drops in a shirt pocket.

Craig Miller":yci7var2 said:
I shot a nice little da revolver in Taurus 38 a few weeks ago belonging to my niece. Liked it a lot except for the long trigger pull, inherent with da pistols. Nice oem sight, light enough, and even fit my big old hand pretty good. Trigger pull was Ok after I got used to it tho, and my wife handled it well too.
My brother's Ruger semi in .45 gives him trouble as far as the slide goes too. They could have put some better serrations along the sides to make it grip better.

Hammerless revolver, is probably your safest and simplest. Just point and squeeze.

greybeard":3i9j52tt said:
Craig Miller":3i9j52tt said:
I shot a nice little da revolver in Taurus 38 a few weeks ago belonging to my niece. Liked it a lot except for the long trigger pull, inherent with da pistols. Nice oem sight, light enough, and even fit my big old hand pretty good. Trigger pull was Ok after I got used to it tho, and my wife handled it well too.
My brother's Ruger semi in .45 gives him trouble as far as the slide goes too. They could have put some better serrations along the sides to make it grip better.

It is long and heavy. My youngest boy- the nine years old- was unable pull it. After cocking the hammer he was. It is almost a hair trigger at that point. I want to get one for myself.

Craig Miller":19zgyo43 said:
greybeard":19zgyo43 said:
Craig Miller":19zgyo43 said:

It is long and heavy. My youngest boy- the nine years old- was unable pull it. After cocking the hammer he was. It is almost a hair trigger at that point. I want to get one for myself.
I replaced the springs in my wifes S&W 642, now she doesn;t have any problems with the trigger and it's never failed to go bang when the trigger is pulled.

Bigfoot":ppybgkqy said:
Hammerless revolver, is probably your safest and simplest. Just point and squeeze.
Considered by some to be the original point and click interface.

my wife has fallen in love with my Ruger model 605 38/357 mag....she shows it to everyone who comes to the door...carries it from room to room with her.

she does not understand automatics....she understands the point and click of a revolver...

S&W 38 snub with hammer. 74yr old Mom has a Taurus 357 ported with 4 inch barrel that I really like.

thanks for all the replies. I think she needs a double action or thumbless revolver as well as there is no pulling the slide or jamming but i think we'll go somewhere and try out lots of things.

I have an (extended) family member who was a visiting nurse and was attacked at a home visit. (No, not in a city. She served a rural population). Might I suggest a highly-recommended book: http://www.nytimes.com/books/first/b/becker-fear.html
It's The Gift of Fear, by Gavin DeBecker, about re-training yourself to not ignore your instincts. I would say some martial arts or self-defense classes might also help. (I'm not saying don't carry a gun necessarily, just that you might need other skillsets as well).

Latest posts