Computers..

Help Support CattleToday:

TheBullLady

Reaction score
For those of you who are not "technically challenged" such as myself, can you please tell me the general difference between a "netbook" and a laptop? I'm trying to decide which is better for my 76 year old mother... and I may even spring for a new one myself. Every time I have to replace a computer, it's like chinese for me to determine the differences. Also.. if anyone has a recommendation for a new laptop, please let me know! Under $1000

Thanks for your help!

I don't know the difference but a good laptop is the Dell 1500, very reasonably priced, they can install all the programs on for you, a security system, Office system, the operating system, etc.. for about $700 or less, they got alot fo deals going on now, so now would be a great time to buy a laptop. They are easy to use, my son has one, he just turned it on, had no problems figuring it out, even I have gotten use to it. One thing is it does take some time getting use to not having a mouse to click, I have a desktop and I find its easier than a laptop in many ways. being your Mom is older she may like a desktop better than a laptop.

GMN

I think netbooks are really pretty little. My big problem with notebooks, netbooks, and laptops is the keyboard. My fingers can't fly over the keys on notebooks and netbooks and laptops. But, that's my problem, and doesn't seem to be anyone else's.

I know what GMN means about the mouse, but anymore laptops with USB ports can handle a mouse. And laptops are pretty lightweight anymore, so your Mom should be able to tote it around...well if the laptop is wi fi capable, anyway. Now don't ask me what that means, other than she'd be able to take it to Starbucks, et al, and access the internet from there...

I got a really nice laptop last Christmas...a Toshiba refurb. I like refurbs...cost-wise, for sure.

Alice

Most generally, a Netbook is something that is used to access the internet only, very little memory storage and limited use on programs. They come with a monthly charge of about $60 for internet access, but they usually work anywhere and do not have to be plugged into anything in order to access the internet. A Notebook or Laptop is a computer. They should do anything that a full sized desktop computer will do.

That is the way I understand it anyway. I recently bought a new laptop and with all the looking around that is what I discovered. Someone else may have more information or be more up to date on the new stuff.

Alice":1ip1ltow said:
I think netbooks are really pretty little. My big problem with notebooks, netbooks, and laptops is the keyboard. My fingers can't fly over the keys on notebooks and netbooks and laptops. But, that's my problem, and doesn't seem to be anyone else's.

Me two.

Generally, a laptop costs more for the same capacity as a desktop. If you look at how big the hard drive is, how much memory it has, etc, you usually get more computer for less money with a desktop. And a bigger screen if your mom's eyes aren't what they used to be.

MO_cows":19pgp1m2 said:
Generally, a laptop costs more for the same capacity as a desktop. If you look at how big the hard drive is, how much memory it has, etc, you usually get more computer for less money with a desktop. And a bigger screen if your mom's eyes aren't what they used to be.
And I always thought that memory, hearing and eyesight got better with age

I just got a new LT the end of October, it is a Toshiba Satellite with windows 7. I like my desk top a little better, but a LT sure is handy especially if you have high speed wireless. It was under 700 Canadian and has a nice big LCD , but is light weight which would be perfect for your mom.

There are alot of good choices out there for reasonable coin.

Latest posts