computers

Help Support CattleToday:

frenchie

Reaction score
Anyone ever have troubles with a computer kicking off 3 or 4 times during start -up.

I,m wondering If I got a virus

opinons

not me, only puter problems i have is sho nuff problems, like the time my monitor caught on fire.

Sounds more like a hardware problem to me. Usually a operating system problem won't be seen until you get to at least the Windows prompt unless the virus attacked the boot sector of the disk. When this happens it usually won't boot at all. I would get it checked out frenchie because when it really fails you may have a lot more work ahead of you to get it fixed, reloaded, and get back to where you are today. Anything of value you have on there, be sure and back it up to CD or something soon.

Another thing you can try is try bringing it up in "safe mode" and see if you get the same symptom. If not then it is most likely some conflict in hardware. You can reseat all the boards in your PCI slots also. That sometimes clears up problems.

Could be any one of several things.
Hard drive problems,registry problems,power supply fan,CPU fan,conflict with apps. Have you made any changes prior to this problem like installing a new program?Opened any attachments(virus possible)?How are you system resources?Are you starting every program at boot up? It could be as simple as your on/off switch(probably not). Like some of the cattle questions need more info.
What does it do when it starts and quits?
What is your OS,virus protection,power supply(home not system)
There was a virus/trojan about 3-4 yrs ago that shut down the system at boot-up, but if you have downloaded the latest patches/fixes I don't think that will be it.
pm me and we'll see what we can finger out.

Mine did this a couple of times when we had our windows 98. I called the computer guy and he told me I had a sasser worm (which is a virus). He said if my computer would stay on long enough to go to the microsoft websight I could get it fix by myself. I just followed the instructions on the screen when I found what I was looking for. costed nothing! ;-)
I'm not for sure this is your problem, but it sounds the same.
Greenwillows wife

Try checking the power connection for being loose. If it is and you are causing movement you could get the same indication.

ive had trojans, blaster worms, and sasser worms all on this computer (not the one that caught on fire). go to microsoft.com and download some of the things to check for these. any of them could be the culprit.

Micro-soft site found nothing as did.Mcaffee, Trend-micro

Pretty sure my hard drive is on its way out.Thanks DJ and everyone else.

Latest posts