Computers...The Demise of Sanity

Help Support CattleToday:

Running Arrow Bill

Reaction score
On my soapbox today...

Couple of weeks ago my HP control box crashed. Took week or so to get a new one. Another week to get a computer guy to transfer my files off my old hard drive onto the new one.

Given this,

New computer came with Windows 7 (my old one was Windows XP). The 7 version is much more complicated to navigate than my XP was. Saving a file is significantly more complicated with the 7. Also, having trouble "finding" some stuff. WHY do they keep "improving" stuff that was working find in the first place? Answer: MONEY to sell more stuff.

Also, with cell phones, I just WANT and NEED one with "Start, Stop, and numbers 0 thru 9". These high tech phones (and other devices) have 99% more options that I want or need.

Even though computers for word processing are a blessing to type, edit, copy, save, print, I at times wish for the old manual typewriters, carbon paper, and typewriter erasers...back to the 50's. Oh well... And, yes, "cut and paste" was exactly that! Scissors, tape or glue...then re-type...

LOL!

I'm glad I won't be around 25 or 50 years from now... :)

Try doing it like I do... Hasn't failed me yet. When I run into problems I say, "honey, how do I..." and before I can finish my question she's kicked me off of watever machine I'm on and is on the phone with whatever support she needs to get it fixed. She told me last time it's easier just to fix it before I either make it worse or get mad and break it... Works great :D .

Running Arrow Bill":3tjv02vh said:
On my soapbox today...

Couple of weeks ago my HP control box crashed. Took week or so to get a new one. Another week to get a computer guy to transfer my files off my old hard drive onto the new one.

Given this,

New computer came with Windows 7 (my old one was Windows XP). The 7 version is much more complicated to navigate than my XP was. Saving a file is significantly more complicated with the 7. Also, having trouble "finding" some stuff. WHY do they keep "improving" stuff that was working find in the first place? Answer: MONEY to sell more stuff.

Also, with cell phones, I just WANT and NEED one with "Start, Stop, and numbers 0 thru 9". These high tech phones (and other devices) have 99% more options that I want or need.

Even though computers for word processing are a blessing to type, edit, copy, save, print, I at times wish for the old manual typewriters, carbon paper, and typewriter erasers...back to the 50's. Oh well... And, yes, "cut and paste" was exactly that! Scissors, tape or glue...then re-type...

LOL!

I'm glad I won't be around 25 or 50 years from now... :)

My wife decided she wanted an I-Phone for Christmas, so we went to Verizon to get it the other day and the sales guy said she might be interested in the training classes they offer every week or two on how to use the I-Phones. That's nice they offer that, but I just thought it was kinda funny that a phone can be so complicated that there are classes offered on how to use it.

I'm sure I'd need it too if I got one. It took me long enough to give up my old bar phone and move up to a flip phone. When I gave them my old phone to transfer my contacts over the people working there started laughing. They looked at it like it was an antique. It was in pretty rough shape.

One of the things that I have decided not to do is to keep contact information in my phone. I was raised to believe that if you do not use your brain, you will lose it. I am pretty sure this is true but just in case, I do keep a backup file of everyone I know and their contact info on a file in my computer. When I use the phone, I am forced to "remember" their number in order to call them. It takes a lot of practice but I have been doing it for years, and I can remember most numbers when I want to dial them. The upside is that if my phone ends up in the trough, or run over by a tractor, I haven't lost anything except the device itself.

you can have your Windows 7 set up to look and run just like your old XP. I went through the same thing going from XP to Vista (JOKE) to Windows 7

Try this one on for size.
I just spent 3 hrs fixing my mother in laws high speed internet satellite dish. Brother in law hit it with a golf cart. He doesnt drive real well and knocked it out of alignment. Called her provider and they wouldnt give me the azimuth or elevation to set it back to. They wanted to send a tech put for 100 bucks. No thanks. So internet search told me what satellite they use and the name, who made it etc. then i had to search out the needed info based on where we are. Not fun. Got it fixed only to find out that her computer wifi wasnt working right. Another 1/2 hr to figure out that problem.

Running Arrow Bill":re98ahig said:
Galloway2":re98ahig said:
you can have your Windows 7 set up to look and run just like your old XP. I went through the same thing going from XP to Vista (JOKE) to Windows 7

And...how did you do that?

:)

Called the help desk with some hardware issues. Told the guy I thought it wasn't as user friendly as my old XP, luckily the guy offered to make it work just like XP. online you can let them come into your computer, and make the changes needed.

Caustic Burno":2v3cwxi7 said:
Amen on the cell phones wife ordered new ones with touch screen I am constantly pocket dailing some one..
I want a cell phone with a rotary dial.

I'm with you on that. I think the rotary dial is coming. The other day I saw a handset in a store like from a desktop landline phone that you plug in to you cell phone and use it to talk. Coiled cord and all. I thought then what's next a rotary dial cell phone? I want one that has a REAL bell that rings that connects to a ringer hanging on the barn. Wouldn't that be "new and revolutionary"?

I had to check my email a while back while my ex and I were having a coffee, so she handed me her Iphone, she even got me to gmail and typed in my email address... there was no chance I was able to even enter my password... I gave up

I also got myself a cheap cell phone last week, don't like it but it plays music so I don't need to upgrade my cd player in my truck which is nice