Computer Question

Help Support CattleToday:

Lammie":2dnf2o6p said:
KenB":2dnf2o6p said:
sidney411":2dnf2o6p said:
I just replaced the motherboard, power supply and upgrades the heatsink/fan on a friends PC that the capacitors on the MB leaked. Cost $98.60 SH included. Check out NewEgg.com they have good parts for a good price. See what it would cost to replace the parts you need, I bet it's a lot cheaper then what the GeekSquad told you. It's quite simple to replace those parts also, if you have and ?'s just ask and I can try to help you.

I would think that someone needing to have GeekSquad trouble shoot it would have a problem replacing the motherboard.
Also if it is a Dell, Gateway, Compaq, HP, eMachines, etc. they all use unique motherboards, and a nonstandard MB would have to be adapted.

Yes, I am not the biggest gook I know, hence, the Nerd Herd. I have an eMechines. The second one I have had. Before that I had a Gateway.

Lammie, I didn't mean to put you down about your computer knowledge, but replacing a motherboard while not a big job, would demand the most skill envolved with replacing computer components.
Also your choice of a brand of computer is ???? eMachines are the Yugo of the PC world. If you would get something like a Dell it should last much more then 2 years.
Also make sure you have a surge protector, voltage spikes are the worst thing for a computer.

Lammie, I agree with the e-machines synophsis. I had one awhile back, and it didn't last me two years. The big brands are so much more affordable now, it's well worth the little bit of extra $$ to get a Dell or a Sony, which I've had really good luck with.

I have bought several Compaq which are now the HP in the past all from thier refurb store. You cannot tell them from a new one. All have been very reliable. The first one was bought in 2000, we used it until the first off this year and bought another HP Pavillion Slimline, it was new, reason I had a rewards card from Visa that covered all the cost. To check HP availablilty you can go to thier website and find them.

Actually the one I just fixed was an emachine and you have to have the same motherboard but you can find them pretty easily either on newegg.com or ebay. It's really not that hard. My computer here at work that I use every day is an emachine and I've had it for 8 years with no troubles. I've upgraded it but it was not due to malfunction. A lot of problems I see with computers is where they are kept; i.e. too dusty or too hot (no air circulation) of a location.

KenB":3mw2xpnf said:
Lammie":3mw2xpnf said:
KenB":3mw2xpnf said:
sidney411":3mw2xpnf said:
I just replaced the motherboard, power supply and upgrades the heatsink/fan on a friends PC that the capacitors on the MB leaked. Cost $98.60 SH included. Check out NewEgg.com they have good parts for a good price. See what it would cost to replace the parts you need, I bet it's a lot cheaper then what the GeekSquad told you. It's quite simple to replace those parts also, if you have and ?'s just ask and I can try to help you.

I would think that someone needing to have GeekSquad trouble shoot it would have a problem replacing the motherboard.
Also if it is a Dell, Gateway, Compaq, HP, eMachines, etc. they all use unique motherboards, and a nonstandard MB would have to be adapted.

Yes, I am not the biggest gook I know, hence, the Nerd Herd. I have an eMechines. The second one I have had. Before that I had a Gateway.

Lammie, I didn't mean to put you down about your computer knowledge, but replacing a motherboard while not a big job, would demand the most skill envolved with replacing computer components.
Also your choice of a brand of computer is ???? eMachines are the Yugo of the PC world. If you would get something like a Dell it should last much more then 2 years.
Also make sure you have a surge protector, voltage spikes are the worst thing for a computer.

No big, Ken. I really am kinda thick when it comes to this sorta thing. I just dont want to mess with it.

Good News. The Hub found someone to fix it. Maybe I can get another year out of it. Then I can buy something good.

Latest posts