Computer for "oldtimer" question

Help Support CattleToday:

baldy

Reaction score
I would like to get my mother a computer. All she wants to be able to do is Email her brothers and other family and friends. I am leary about getting her a used one so I was thinking a new laptopof some sorts. She has never even turned a computer on so I have to keep it simple as about all I know how to do is Email and surf the net. This being a forum of mostly common folks, I thought I would see what models others might think would be good enough. I have asked a couple sales people but they get over 1 thousand dollars in a hurry. She would think that was insane to put it mildly. I have seen some in the 5oo$ range, are they good enuff?Thanks

you should be able to find some cheaper computers at a Best Buy or other electronics store. if all she is going to be doing is just simple internet stuff, the $500-ish range should be just fine. i'm not partial to any brand, so you should be ok there (imo). laptops tend to be more expensive, maybe try a desktop? dell usually has some decent deals on desktops, as well as electronics stores, so watch for ads in the newspaper and tv.

You can get refurbed Dells on the cheap. Look on their website.

i got a great refurb laptop that was a dept of defense comp offa ebay store crs..theyre great, have sold like 150000 of em..top rated comp..i paid 350 bucks to my door w/ayr guarantee

laptops are so much better unlessyer gonna do alot of pics then maybe a desktop but i hardly use mine since i got the laptop..portable is the only way to go

IMO I would not recommend a Laptop for someone who was not computer savvy or literate...lol.

Laptops don't have regular "typewriter" keys and you move around the screen by brushing your finger around that little pad on the "keyboard". IMO much more difficult to navigate than a desktop with regular "typewriter" keys.

For just e-mail use, go with one of the limited RAM or Hard Drive storage. Can probably find one in the $500 price range.

Besides the keyboard issues there is one of the the screen size/definition. Some (of us) as we get older need bigger screens with larger characters to see it even with glasses.

I would go with a lap top and you can get a good one from HP. I like HP customer service and their help and support. Best by far. I paid 600 Canadian funds for mine, and they have cheaper
You can get a cordless mouse that has a ubs stick.
make your recovery disc as soon as you get the computer and turn it on for the first time....a must
get rid of the norton that seems to come with all computers and download AVG free as well as Super anti spyware free.
Install a router so that the laptop can be accessed any where in the house.
Teach your mother to back up any pictures regularly so to not clog the computer. And if this computer you get her is for web surfing, teach her to clean her internet cache and do a disc clean up regularly to get rid of the temp files that can clog a computer and slow it down. These are simple easy tasks that anyone can do.
the nice part about a laptop, is if she decides to sit in her favorite chair, the computer can go with her. It takes up way less space than a desk top so it is less permantent invasive.

I got an"Acer" laptop,windows vista---I'm 65+,and as I didn't type or use a computer much before :help: ,the configgeration hasn't bothered me much. :compute: This one has a place for a "disk"--anyhow,got it at Wal-Mart for less than 400$. I can email,talk to y'all and use "ask.com" to find other stuff I'm interested in. Oh,I'm lucky :tiphat: I have some one/some place nearby that hasn't shielded their WiFi,so I'm piggybacking on them. :banana: I think your mom would enjoy one like this.. :heart:

Personally, I have always built my own. However recently I found a computer at walmart (HP) that was a quad core amd processor and had the mother board 7 gig of memory and 500 some odd gig hard drive. I bought me a sound blaster x fi sound card, and a 9800 gt pci express graphics card and boy does it fly. I wanted to go dual graphics cards (SLI) but it was just to expensive. I HATE INTELL AND WILL NEVER USE THEM. Amd always beats intell on bench mark tests. HP is smart for using them Dell tried to get smart and use em but they use the older obsolete ones while hp uses the quad cores.

For the computer itself under 900. The sound card? 100 some odd and the video card 200 some odd.

cowman30":3syjcsbo said:
Personally, I have always built my own. However recently I found a computer at walmart (HP) that was a quad core amd processor and had the mother board 7 gig of memory and 500 some odd gig hard drive. I bought me a sound blaster x fi sound card, and a 9800 gt pci express graphics card and boy does it fly. I wanted to go dual graphics cards (SLI) but it was just to expensive. I HATE INTELL AND WILL NEVER USE THEM. Amd always beats intell on bench mark tests. HP is smart for using them Dell tried to get smart and use em but they use the older obsolete ones while hp uses the quad cores.

For the computer itself under 900. The sound card? 100 some odd and the video card 200 some odd.

:? Why in the world would someone want a computer like that to do email and use the internet? :roll: :roll:

cowman30":vtdz06pw said:

:? Why in the world would someone want a computer like that to do email and use the internet? :roll: :roll:

I would try to find a good used one, just a basic computer with windows XP on it. That is all one would need for what it will be used for.

thanks for all the info, I was thinking laptop just for comfort(recliner) and space since like anyone who has lived most of their life in thesame house, its pretty full. I see where your coming from about screen size, keyboard, and mouse things tho. I haven't really used a laptop much so I didn't think of those things.She still sees pretty good but I found out today she don't hop a fence like she used to, Got hung up on me. I think I better borrow a laptop and let her play with it a little before I buy. Thanks again

KenB":17jb8vkh said:
cowman30":17jb8vkh said:

Cuz its fast, for notoriety? For kicks. Why do people raise dexters? Cuz they can.

cowman30":1fkhdeqf said:
KenB":1fkhdeqf said:
cowman30":1fkhdeqf said:

Cuz its fast, for notoriety? For kicks. Why do people raise dexters? Cuz they can.

That is fine for you but the original poster wanted input for...
quote, I would like to get my mother a computer. All she wants to be able to do is Email her brothers and other family and friends.

That was the reason for my comment. :wave:

Latest posts