Composites

Help Support CattleToday:

CopeMan

Reaction score
I know that are many composite breeds, but it seems to me that it would be fun fooling with cattle trying to create a composite of breeds that work good for you. So what are some composites that you have been creating?

CopeMan":sdorcrbw said:
I know that are many composite breeds, but it seems to me that it would be fun fooling with cattle trying to create a composite of breeds that work good for you. So what are some composites that you have been creating?

a whole bunch, in the last 35 years using a whole bunch of breeds as; Hereford, Salers, Shorthorn, Blonde d'Aquitane, Simmental, Simbrah, Charolaise, Charbray, Romagnola, Santa Gertrudis, Beefmaster, Limousin, Braunvieh, Normande, Tarentaise, Red and Black Angus, all of the Bos Indicus breeds specially Nelore & Gyr, some milk breeds as Jersey & Holsteins, even Belgian Blue

I'm kinda fond of the composite idea. It's makes breeding systems much easier and in particular improves beef quality for those who depend on Bos Indicus influence.

I still dont know why they dont call a Baldy crossed with a Brahman a "Baldman"

D.R. Cattle":23tsgm2o said:
I'm kinda fond of the composite idea. It's makes breeding systems much easier and in particular improves beef quality for those who depend on Bos Indicus influence.

not trying to start a discusion and with all my respect but.....maybe is the other way, many breeds are in the need of bos Indicus influence (calving ease, disposition and all the heat tolerance factors) depending the enviroment where the breeder is located

We don't really have any composites around just F1's and straight breds. It gets pretty hard keeping the correct percentages in each animal correct if your adding new genetics. We tryed it for a while but got away from it.