Composite longhorn crossbreeds

Help Support CattleToday:

:cry:
Muddy":9qrcsw14 said:
It seems that you get more beef out of 1/2 longhorns or low percentage longhorns than the high percentage longhorns.

A fact discovered over 120 years ago.........

gcreekrch":3tyqojux said:
:cry:
Muddy":3tyqojux said:
It seems that you get more beef out of 1/2 longhorns or low percentage longhorns than the high percentage longhorns.

A fact discovered over 120 years ago.........
No shyt, Sherlock. :roll:

There is a guy over the hill from me with a bunch of longhorn cows (800 head +/-) he has been breeding to a Charolais bull. He did pretty good for a while but now he is discounted pretty good. He is big enough that the buyers remember his calves. It seems they look good as calves but that they don't perform as well at the end.
A good friend of mine who is a lifetime cattleman says anyone who breeds cattle should have to retain ownership on their calves for a year or two so they can see how they preform at the other end. If you have to pay the bills you might do things a little different.

Dave said:
There is a guy over the hill from me with a bunch of longhorn cows (800 head +/-) he has been breeding to a Charolais bull. He did pretty good for a while but now he is discounted pretty good. He is big enough that the buyers remember his calves. It seems they look good as calves but that they don't perform as well at the end.
A good friend of mine who is a lifetime cattleman says anyone who breeds cattle should have to retain ownership on their calves for a year or two so they can see how they preform at the other end. If you have to pay the bills you might do things a little different.
dave, you say maybe the cow calf guy should retain his calves and see what it's like to pay the bills as a feeder would. That's probably a good exercise. I wonder though, if the feeders had to raise their own calves on pasture and pay the same bills the cow calf guy does creating the ideal feedlot calf, if they might do things a bit different too?
OzssieDave19 said:
I always find it funny when we take a less desired breed and "improve it" with a better breed . Sometimes I wonder if it's not diluting the better breed.

Angus x Hereford = improving two good breeds.
Angus x Jersey = a worse Angus mongrel.

jehosofat said:
I bred a Beefmaster bull to 14 head of Longhorn and LH/Corriente crossed cows this year, none of them have hit the ground yet, but should be dropping some any day now. Results pending.

After use Limo, Hereford and Beefmaster on his LHs, my brother has settled on Beefmaster.

DCA farm said:
Every sale I've been to you can buy a bred longhorn for $250-$400 I bought a spring calf bred longhorn myself last month 6 year old for $330 i shall see how the calf she raised turns out.

If you can always buy them for that much, it ought to tell you what you can expect for them when you sell them

I love looking at longhorns, and I could stand to have one as yard art, but wouldn't think about trying to make money with them.