Complicated Sucking Issue

Help Support CattleToday:

LoveMoo11

Reaction score
I have a little guy who has been sucking on one of the dry cows and has caused her to get mastitis in the quarter he has been sucking. Problem is, I can't just stick a weaning ring in him because I don't want him to stop sucking on his mom. I think the problem is, he was an orphan, then we had his new mom adopt him, which probably has confused him a little. So how can I get him to leave the dry cow alone and stay on his mom?

OP
L

LoveMoo11

Reaction score
well we only have six animals and one pasture, separating really isn't an option because we don't have the space. Thanks for the suggestions so far.

dun

Reaction score
If you can;t seperate them the only options are to get rid of the heifer or get rid of the calf

Loch Valley Fold

Reaction score
You could try spreading cow poop over the treats of the dry cow teats, the calf shouldn't bother the cow after that I do the same thing with the dairy calves if they start sucking navels

grannysoo

Reaction score
LoveMoo11":1ue2led1 said:
well we only have six animals and one pasture, separating really isn't an option because we don't have the space. Thanks for the suggestions so far.

A fence charger and a little hot wire can do wonders...