Completely Flat Land???

Help Support CattleToday:

GEAUXLIVESTOCK13

Reaction score
So I live in Louisiana and I can't seem to find to many large chunks of pasture that people are will to sell. We have a lot of sugar cane land down here though. How do you think completely flat land would hold up with livestock farming? I know this is somewhat of a dumb question, but my main question would be about drainage from big rainstorms and the health other animals walking around in sopping wet fields all day. Thanks for yalls answers!!

i bought a new flat farm with heavy top soil.

I had to deliver hay past the tractor axles to them this last winter. I poured a big concrete pad for them to stand on before the winter.

next move is to build feed barns, hay barns, etc... so I can hav ea feeding operation right near them..

everything else is great, but the wet winter sucked.

you'll have more money in infrastructure but the benefits of better forage, heavier yields, etc.. will outweigh that IMO.

It's also very very nice to "setup" your setup anyway you like anywhere you like.. instead of.. well.. I gotta put it here because thats the only flat spot.. :D

Don't see why it wouldn't work. Here flat land is in crops and rough ground in crops and cows. Really good soil type that's flat brings a premium for crops for sure if a tobacco farmer wants it.

There's at least one S. Louisianian on the board, lives near Nueva Iberia. He seems to be making it work ok.
Shoot him a PM--His username is MudHog.

I used to live in the same parish as he, and up in Saint Landry Parish near Opelousus and Lafayette Parish near Carencro. They get in the fields to plant and harvest cane..you should be able to get in enough to feed and gather cattle. That gumbo does get sticky but you'll find a way.

There a lot of cattle ran on the coastal plains of Texas water has to stack up to run off. It doesn't get any flatter than from Sabine Pass to Galveston.

The comment about hoof rot is a consideration. I grew up on the gulf coast but wasn't raising cattle back then. I'd talk to locals with the same situation as you aspire and see how they deal with it.

I have flat land and sugar cane is grown to the north, east and west of me. No problems raising cattle but I do use a sacrifice field when feeding cows. I'd imagine the soil type would have a lot to do with it though. Mine is sandy loam to loamy sand and if you find a rock is probably an arrowhead.

kenny thomas":1ulvycwl said:
skyhightree1":1ulvycwl said:
hmm all I have is flat land
I seen flat land once. Even coon hunted on some. Couldn't walk right. We have one leg shorted than the other so we can walk the hills. So do our cows. :hide:

This must really hurt your weaning weights but it does explain why they have "adjusted weaning weights". I assume you plug in your slope angle and the program adjusts accordingly.

My cows are on wet ground 6 months out of the year. I know guys who run cows in the Marsh where they are grazing in water 85 percent of the time .. foot rot isn't caused by water. I haven't had a case in 4 or 5 years. If you cull that cow the problem goes away . Treat it and keep her and she will get foot rot again .

JSCATTLE":156tm7l6 said:
My cows are on wet ground 6 months out of the year. I know guys who run cows in the Marsh where they are grazing in water 85 percent of the time .. foot rot isn't caused by water. I haven't had a case in 4 or 5 years. If you cull that cow the problem goes away . Treat it and keep her and she will get foot rot again .

That is what I've seen also. Sometimes I'll have one get an injury to a hoof and the muck may delay healing but they always heal and I don't even treat unless it really affects its mobility.

I don't think any land is completely flat. My land is flat but it has hills to. Only thing is my hills are inverted.

Jogeephus":dzbwfr7u said:
kenny thomas":dzbwfr7u said:
skyhightree1":dzbwfr7u said:
I seen flat land once. Even coon hunted on some. Couldn't walk right. We have one leg shorted than the other so we can walk the hills. So do our cows. :hide:

This must really hurt your weaning weights but it does explain why they have "adjusted weaning weights". I assume you plug in your slope angle and the program adjusts accordingly.

:lol2: @ both of yall

kenny thomas":1h0yg98q said:
skyhightree1":1h0yg98q said:
He kept walking in circles and I'd have to go back and get him. I finally tied a block to his book to even him out.

Latest posts