completely disgusted with PETA

Help Support CattleToday:

j&lfarms

Reaction score
Had the unfortunate experience of running across their Facebook page and I am appalled at the lies and misconceptions they are feeding people about the beef and cattle industry. The opening few seconds on a video was a cow with a vaginal prolapse. As most know that is a pretty gruesome thing to see. However, peta was trying to portray that it was a common thing that farmers "induced" in most all cows. I'm p'd off and my night is now ruined. The ignorance of some of the people who posted things on the page and the ideas they are trying to shove down other peoples throat made me question and fear the things I am going to see in my hopefully long life. I feel like we are arguing a losing battle in which the people on the other side are so ignorant you can't argue with them. They would rather believe organizations like peta instead of getting out and figuring out these things their selves. I would be glad to take some on a tour around my county and debunk all of the lies but even then I don't know if these idiots would believe.

Sorry, just had to yell a little bit. Things like this make me want to cut all ties with technology.

The problem is that we as farmers have a few bad apples in our midst that open the gate for the likes of PETA. It isn't too much to ask to do thing right and educate the public. Passing laws against filming on farms leads the public to believe we have something to hide and only fuels their cause. If you wouldn't want the public to see what happens on your farm, perhaps the way we farm needs to be rethought. Lets not hand them the grenades to throw at us. :2cents:

I think that farmers and ranchers need to organize (good luck with that one) and then blacklist certain people. PETA, EPA are a few that come to mind. Simply tell stores if you sell food to these people we wont sell food to you

It scared me that how there are many people that know nothing about the farming life yet making crazy assumptions that farming is bad or that we are cruel to the animals. I once had a talk with a fellow few months ago and he tells me that cows are too slow to mature, took 15 years for them to have a first calf and that they only weighted around 6,000lbs. I just bit my tongue.....and that there is a girl in my class few years ago, the class took a field trip to a wildlife reservation and there was some captive elk in there. The girl thought the elk were dairy cows and everyone turns and look at her.....

The thing about educating and showing the real side of everything is that they don't care. The good stuff doesn't fit their agenda. If they only knew the amount of chaos if we all took a year off lol.

It's PETA, what did you expect to see?
There's a real push out here for ag-tourism where we invite the public to tour the operation so that they learn what we do and WHY we do it. It's tough to open yourself up to criticism but it's better than having people try to guess what is really happening and form an opinion out of ignorance.
Last year I was walking behind a set of cows just doing what I do and all of a sudden three tour busses from the world ag expo showed up and out came people from literally around the world asking questions. The voice inside my head was screaming "leave me the #$%^ ALONE!" but I understand that they don't understand but they want to. The only way for ag to survive is for us to say, "this is who we really are and this is why we do that" because the ignorant people that oppose us are NOT offering anything reasonable but it sounds logical if you just flat don't know how agriculture works. The difference is that PETA reaches out to people and tries to teach them their values but we tend to turn people away and NOT show them how we believe things should work.

Atgreene":1hvqkaqr said:
The problem is that we as farmers have a few bad apples in our midst that open the gate for the likes of PETA. It isn't too much to ask to do thing right and educate the public. Passing laws against filming on farms leads the public to believe we have something to hide and only fuels their cause. If you wouldn't want the public to see what happens on your farm, perhaps the way we farm needs to be rethought. Lets not hand them the grenades to throw at us. :2cents:
Well said! The fact is there are the 'bad apples' out there that give the likes of PETA ammunition.

sim.-ang.king":2l29ylcr said:
Red Bull Breeder":2l29ylcr said:
Farmers need to take a year off. All of us the same year.
I think we would only need a week.

Check with some of the older local farmers and see if they joined the NFO in the sixties. They dumped milk to drive the price up but when the price moved up some a lot of them quit dumping. Did not take long for them to fall apart from the inside out. Most buyers are well aware that farmers and ranchers want to make there own deals and seldom band together in very large groups! :shock:

Latest posts