Compensation for a cow/calf operation with a manager

Help Support CattleToday:

10% of herd
3 cow/calf pairs drawn by lot at weaning after owner selects 3 pairs not in drawing to keep for himself.
IF more than 1 cow fails to wean calf, those cows are included in the drawing of lots each to count as a 'pair'.

Is there enough land to support more than the 30 head you have in mind? If so you might let the help run a small group of there on to help a little.

All that is more head ache than its worth. I've been on both sides of that deal. Just pay an hourly rate and be done. Its best for both sides.

Your helper is either going to do a good job or they aren't... getting a percentage wont change their character.

I do suggest a nice Xmas bonus or letting then have other little perks on the property to reward a good job.

Brute 23":1e8c2a3c said:
All that is more head ache than its worth. I've been on both sides of that deal. Just pay an hourly rate and be done. Its best for both sides.

Your helper is either going to do a good job or they aren't... getting a percentage wont change their character.

I do suggest a nice Xmas bonus or letting then have other little perks on the property to reward a good job.

That sound like good advice to me.

Hourly rate plus fuel and time to get supplies, deliver supplies, administer supplies???...the best way is percentage of the calf crop.
The actual percentage rate should be based off how far from the manager the property is, if there is hay ground on site or if he has to find and haul quality hay, how the facilities are, quality of the cattle, expected improvements to the property...there's a whole lot to base the percentage off of

Not many trades like that are made in my area. Years and years ago, I took care of a mans herd for half the calf crop. I had to put up his hay crop. We had a 50/50 split on calf sales. We would usually keep an equal number of heifers apiece to, if I am remember right. That'd be a sweet deal, now if I stumbled on another one. This guy was way under stocked to btw. Very little hay was fed.

Brute 23":kk3ebjwb said:

True and it doesn't sound like a lot of work.
More like needing reliable person to do daily check up and being available to take care of any potential problems.
Most likely he'd prefer cash. Ask him how much he'd need per week to do it and calculate % of calf crop it would take
to pay him to see if it would be feasible. If it ends up being more work than anticipated a 1/2 or processed side of a
hamburger cow as bonus is usually a welcomed perk or for a job well done. But once it's given, it becomes a yearly expectation.

Going rate here for a farm manager is 60k plus truck and fuel if house isn't part of the deal. 30-40 if house is part of deal. The one's I know doing this do everything and see to everything including haying and farming activities. Seven day work week too.

Jogeephus":2h6ngim3 said:
Going rate here for a farm manager is 60k plus truck and fuel if house isn't part of the deal. 30-40 if house is part of deal. The one's I know doing this do everything and see to everything including haying and farming activities. Seven day work week too.
Settle down if you'd read perhaps you'd understand he's talking only 30 cows and now you're telling him 60k plus for
a glorified Texas hobby.

Brute 23":3ackxpnm said:

We are helping out a few old timers here, for perks. We get a cup of coffee, occasional sweet rolls or brownies. Lots of hugs from the misses.

Son of Butch":1v1fawtq said:
Jogeephus":1v1fawtq said:
Settle down if you'd read perhaps you'd understand he's talking only 30 cows and now you're telling him 60k plus for
a glorified Texas hobby.

So he doesn't want to turn it into a good sized operation in the future like he said in his first post?

Bigdog13;

I left a similar job description just this past year.

Location was Colorado, 25 hd. cow/calf grass fed operation. We held over yearlings to sell to a grass finisher for direct marketing. Most of our hay was put up by a custom operator for sale to horsy people, we retained some of the rank grass for winter feeding. Job also included general ranch maintenance, equipment repairs, A.I.ing, weekly cattle moves and temporary fence building, flood irrigation, mowing, building repairs, daily corral cleaning and whatever the ranch owner or his wife came up with.

It was not a profitable ranch, it was a lifestyle ranch. Owners resided year round there. I would describe the job more of a care taker position with some ranching duties.

My compensation was 25K per year plus modest home, ranch p/u truck and fuel (strictly for ranch business), internet and electric, and time off if scheduled in advance and if schedule permitted it.

No health insurance, retirement or other benefits.

Part time work but 7 days a week, year in and year out.

This was a pretty typical arrangement in that part of Colorado.

I think it was fair compensation, would be more so if the employee was allowed to leave the ranch for other work as long as the ranch obligations were completed first. Would be a pretty good deal if the boss(es) didn't live there all the time. Kind of hard when you or them has a bad day/week and your still eyeball to eyeball with them with nowhere to hide.

Hope this helps.

Most of my buddies and who take care of places are all allowed to work cattle on the side, use the trailers to haul cattle, trap and sell wild hogs, and even do some hunting.

That goes a long way. If they can put a little cash in their pocket on the side it really helps.

Latest posts