comparing different breeds

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Is anyone aware of a good unbiased source that compares the strengths and weaknesses of different breeds of beef cattle? What we need is a ranking of all the major beef breeds from best to worst by trait. We are interested in traits such as maternal, growth, carcass, disposition, fertility, calving ease, etc. Anything of importance in a cow/calf operation. We need this information because we are looking for another breed to work into our Angus/Simmintal based program to maximize heterosis but are unwilling to sacrafice in other important areas. So far all the information I have found has either been too biased or too general to be of any help. Thank you.

[email protected]

MARC in Clay Center has an excellent report on corssbreeding with the information they used for developing the MARC I, MARC II, and MARC III animals. It goes into a deal deal of depth concerning numerical data derived from the varies purebred and crossbred animals. Problem is I loaned it to a neighbor and can't find it. If you e-mail them and ask about the effect of heterosis in crossbreeding I'll just bet they can tell you the name and send you a copy

dunmovin farms

> Is anyone aware of a good unbiased
> source that compares the strengths
> and weaknesses of different breeds
> of beef cattle? What we need is a
> ranking of all the major beef
> breeds from best to worst by
> trait. We are interested in traits
> such as maternal, growth, carcass,
> disposition, fertility, calving
> ease, etc. Anything of importance
> in a cow/calf operation. We need
> this information because we are
> looking for another breed to work
> into our Angus/Simmintal based
> program to maximize heterosis but
> are unwilling to sacrafice in
> other important areas. So far all
> the information I have found has
> either been too biased or too
> general to be of any help. Thank
> you.

> MARC in Clay Center has an
> excellent report on corssbreeding
> with the information they used for
> developing the MARC I, MARC II,
> and MARC III animals. It goes into
> a deal deal of depth concerning
> numerical data derived from the
> varies purebred and crossbred
> animals. Problem is I loaned it to
> a neighbor and can't find it. If
> you e-mail them and ask about the
> effect of heterosis in
> crossbreeding I'll just bet they
> can tell you the name and send you
> a copy

> dunmovin farms

We have a provincial beef improvement association, they are pretty good. I'm in college right now and I know the college uses a rotational program with simmental, angus and gelbvieh. The beef association at home is Beef Improvement Ontario, but I can't remember the website. Try the cattlemens associations they might have an idea of where to look. Hope this helps

Del

Latest posts