Community Spirit

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
The recent storms did a lot of damage here and destroyed lives and property but one good thing it has done is shown what great people live in my area. For example, at one man's home nearly 100 people showed up and have been helping to get things back in shape. Another example is a large highway contractor shut down their work on the highway and moved their equipment to a neighborhood and have been clearing the debris at no charge. No rioting, no looting just people coming together to help their neighbor which is really nice to see. I guess that's why you haven't seen any of this on the news and why I thought it worth sharing. And yes, most of us would be considered deplorable.

When we got hit last Oct neighbors & friends of neighbors were here almost immediately (they all saw it heading our way). I hadn't even had time to do an inventory of the cattle. Unbelievable - they had the roads cleared, trees cut, fences fixed, debris moved to burn piles, temporary repairs on the barns/outbuildings . . . they even brought beer :)

I honestly don't think I could ever live in a big city again. And I'm glad you didn't sustain any severe damage, Jo!

I heard there was still 4500 homes without power still today? I passed no less than a dozen Georgia Power bucket trucks heading north today and to me that made no sense. We're blessed to live in the country and have folks that will help when you really need it.

I think we often become too negative about the state of human civility, compassion and charity. Most of us want to be helpful and see our fellow brothers and sisters safe and secure.

I hope folks there get their lives back in order.

I've noticed the same thing around here. It's one of the reasons why I love this community, because it is a "community"

M-5":19zjdk2a said:
That's the it's supposed to work Jo. Sadly if this would have happened in a metropolitan area most would still be waiting for .gov to help them.

Did you not see New Yorkers after 9-11?
And again I point you to the stats on which way the federal dollars flow: from urban areas to rural. Who relies more on .gov? It ain't the cities, like it or not.

boondocks":3tpg6l02 said:
M-5":3tpg6l02 said:
That's the it's supposed to work Jo. Sadly if this would have happened in a metropolitan area most would still be waiting for .gov to help them.

Did you not see New Yorkers after 9-11?
And again I point you to the stats on which way the federal dollars flow: from urban areas to rural. Who relies more on .gov? It ain't the cities, like it or not.

I saw NY after a tropical storm came through. I'm not worried about the government money being cut off in the sanctuary cities around here. As a matter of fact I think your facts are wrong. But being it was a scientific study there's no way the numbers could be misrepresented to appear in favor of one's view.

OK, enough bashing of city folk. I'm going to play the experience card. City folks are just as compassionate and just as evil as any of you. When disaster strikes us the good will get better and the bad will get worse.
If a tornado struck my neighborhood I have no doubt our neighbors would come to each others' rescue, but our situation is different.

1. Emergency responders are quicker to arrive and take control--oder evacuations, search and rescue, etc.
2. If anything falls in a city it likely takes out a power line--can't touch it until power is shut off
3. Even if we can go near it, what are we going to do? No heavy equipment in our garage--no chain saws. Most of us would help but with our hands only.
4. If some one needs medical attention, help is closer, but any of us would do what we could until help arrived.

We see looting on TV because it is the exception, not the rule. I saw that Blevins idiot (wasn't that his name?) from out west and his battle with the BLM over unpaid rent but I don't judge all ranchers by his actions. Please don't call me or my neighbors uncaring or helpless, until and unless you know the truth.

You guys beat all. Turning a thread about community service into a battle comparing city folks to rural folks.

:D

:deadhorse:

Margonme, you have to remember we grew up when you won and lost. Was no such thing as "everybody gets a trophy", play fair.... It stays in your blood!! :mrgreen:

City Guy":27mhla8g said:
OK, enough bashing of city folk. I'm going to play the experience card. City folks are just as compassionate and just as evil as any of you. When disaster strikes us the good will get better and the bad will get worse.
If a tornado struck my neighborhood I have no doubt our neighbors would come to each others' rescue, but our situation is different.

1. Emergency responders are quicker to arrive and take control--oder evacuations, search and rescue, etc.
2. If anything falls in a city it likely takes out a power line--can't touch it until power is shut off
3. Even if we can go near it, what are we going to do? No heavy equipment in our garage--no chain saws. Most of us would help but with our hands only.
4. If some one needs medical attention, help is closer, but any of us would do what we could until help arrived.

We see looting on TV because it is the exception, not the rule. I saw that Blevins idiot (wasn't that his name?) from out west and his battle with the BLM over unpaid rent but I don't judge all ranchers by his actions. Please don't call me or my neighbors uncaring or helpless, until and unless you know the truth.

His family name is "Bundy", and they owned water rights to the property before there was the BLM. By the way that's a great example of country folks coming together for each other.

I don't usually stick up for "citiots" but the general masses are no different than country people in regards to helping others and neighborhood pride. A few years back a tornado went though North Minneapolis which is the worst area of the entire state for crime rate and such. But there were neighbors helping each other all over the place. I don't remember if there was any looting or not though, wouldn't shock me. But there are hoodlums in my neighborhood too that would swipe stuff given half the chance.

True Grit Farms":1rf6r34h said:
City Guy":1rf6r34h said:

His family name is "Bundy", and they owned water rights to the property before there was the BLM. By the way that's a great example of country folks coming together for each other.

As I saw on TV it was about unpaid rent. Didn't know it was tied to water rights.

City Guy":20b0ryy4 said:
True Grit Farms":20b0ryy4 said:
City Guy":20b0ryy4 said:

As I saw on TV it was about unpaid rent. Didn't know it was tied to water rights.

You were watching fake news

ChrisB":3b71p3jt said:
I don't usually stick up for "citiots" but the general masses are no different than country people in regards to helping others and neighborhood pride. A few years back a tornado went though North Minneapolis which is the worst area of the entire state for crime rate and such. But there were neighbors helping each other all over the place. I don't remember if there was any looting or not though, wouldn't shock me. But there are hoodlums in my neighborhood too that would swipe stuff given half the chance.

"Citiots", now there's a new word. Did you just make it up? What's the rural equivalent? Oh, I know
"farmoron". This is fun!@

M-5":1rr1jr6s said:
City Guy":1rr1jr6s said:
True Grit Farms":1rr1jr6s said:

You were watching fake news

I usually watch Fox News, is that fake? How does one tell? Seems to me the rule is "if you like it, it's real but if you don't, its fake". I probably didn't listen closely enough.

Letter from farm kid after joining the military:

Dear Ma and Pa:
I am well. Hope you are. Tell Brother Walt and Brother Elmer the Marine Corps beats working for old man Minch by a mile. Tell them to join up quick before all of the places are filled.

I was restless at first because you get to stay in bed till nearly 6 a.m. But I am getting so I like to sleep late. Tell Walt and Elmer all you do before breakfast is smooth your cot, and shine some things. No hogs to slop, feed to pitch, mash to mix, wood to split, fire to lay. Practically nothing.

Men got to shave but it is not so bad, there's warm water. Breakfast is strong on trimmings like fruit juice, cereal, eggs, bacon, etc., but kind of weak on chops, potatoes, ham, steak, fried eggplant, pie and other regular food, but tell Walt and Elmer you can always sit by the two city boys that live on coffee. Their food, plus yours, holds you until noon when you get fed again. It's no wonder these city boys can't walk much.

We go on "route marches," which the platoon sergeant says are long walks to harden us. If he thinks so, it's not my place to tell him different. A "route march" is about as far as to our mailbox at home. Then the city guys get sore feet and we all ride back in trucks.

The sergeant is like a school teacher. He nags a lot. The Captain is like the school board. Majors and colonels just ride around and frown. They don't bother you none.

This next will kill Walt and Elmer with laughing. I keep getting medals for shooting. I don't know why. The bulls-eye is near as big as a chipmunk head and don't move, and it ain't shooting at you like the Higgett boys at home. All you got to do is lie there all comfortable and hit it. You don't even load your own cartridges. They come in boxes.

Then we have what they call hand-to-hand combat training. You get to wrestle with them city boys. I have to be real careful though, they break real easy. It ain't like fighting with that ole bull at home. I'm about the best they got in this except for that Tug Jordan from over in Silver Lake . I only beat him once. He joined up the same time as me, but I'm only 5'6 and 130 pounds and he's 6'8 and near 300 pounds dry.

Be sure to tell Walt and Elmer to hurry and join before other fellers get onto this setup and come stampeding in.

Your loving daughter,

Alice

Latest posts