Commissions sale barn

Help Support CattleToday:

BC":206p0ts9 said:
cowgirl8":206p0ts9 said:
For feeder calves there has to be a better way to sell. I understand that cows need buyers and the sale barn is good, but i want every penny out of our calves because we deserve it. I want the middle man cut out!
You can sell right off the farm,IF you can put together a 48,000 lb load of same sex, same weight calves ( about 70 head of 700 lb steers or heifers).
Yep, if you can sell a pot at a time or can put one together you certainly don't have to take anything to the big bad scary Salebarn.

I know comissions seem high but think about this. We charge $20 sell a slaughter bull plus insurance and checkoff. Most weeks the bulls either mess up a gate or something before they finally get loaded. Sometimes it takes 2 people all day to fix the damage that the sale caused. It is not a get rich business for sure. I see a lot higher commission in other areas than here.

kenny thomas":uytbckwz said:
I know comissions seem high but think about this. We charge $20 sell a slaughter bull plus insurance and checkoff. Most weeks the bulls either mess up a gate or something before they finally get loaded. Sometimes it takes 2 people all day to fix the damage that the sale caused. It is not a get rich business for sure. I see a lot higher commission in other areas than here.
Here it was 14$ on anything sold by weight and then 3% on anything by the head. About 2 months ago they changed to 14$ on feeders and 3% on any cow or bull. So now it is higher than there, but like you say, I still believe it's completely fair.

Most auctions in East Texas now charge 3% of the gross plus insurance! brand inspection and beef Checkoff. The video sales charge 2%. Al the sale barns in Louisiana charge 5%.

In the barns defense, they bring about competitive bidding on animals and make sure you get paid. Something a lot of producers never hear about is the length of time it takes some buyers to pay. There was one guy in an adjoining county that stiffed our local auction market over $60,000. His checks had always been good and then one week it bounced. Five years latter, the auction owner is still trying to collect - the court has ordered the buyer to make restitution at a couple of hundred a month.

Latest posts