Commissions sale barn

Help Support CattleToday:

Talin

Reaction score
Sold 4 cull cows 2 yo heifers and 7 yo cows all open and I was surprised $55.75 a head commission, feed, blood charges etc etc. didn't include preg check since I knew they were open does this seem high for sale barn commissions?

Depends on what they brought if there commision is on percents. Most of the sales here in MO get a flat fee depending on barns anywhere from 10$ to 18$ per head on cattle sold by weight, and 3% on anything by the head, 1$ for the check off, and then insurance and a couple other small feed that add up to another 1$ or so. Now there are alot of sales that get 3% on everything and that's alot more, I suspect that's what your paying.

Everyone will have their hand in your pocket now that there's a chance there's something in it! We sold our bull for about $2150, he needed an RFID tag, feed and water, commission, brand inspection, BIF fees, etc, was about $100 bucks in fees by the end of it all/

Here it is 3% plus a $2.00 head charge and the checkoff at one of our better sale barns.

It is $21 a head here. And it can't get much higher than that, or people just start selling them off the farm, which half of them do here already.

selling cattle has alot of fees and charges now.so that sounds a tad high but it doesnt surprise me.

Here the commission is from 3 to 4% depending on which sale barn you go to. But then they add on insurance, yardage, beef check off, brand inspection, and any vet work. Pretty much $50 or more on any animal bringing over $1,000.

For feeder calves there has to be a better way to sell. I understand that cows need buyers and the sale barn is good, but i want every penny out of our calves because we deserve it. I want the middle man cut out!

I also dont like knowing what each calf will bring. Seems one always gets a low price when the calves are almost identical. Drives me nuts. Has to be a better way.

Fees fees fees for everything it seems .. kinda goes with the territorty. I dont even pay much attention to the cost of it.. seems like everyone wants their piece of the pie.

Limomike":2du55d1x said:
Fees fees fees for everything it seems .. kinda goes with the territorty. I dont even pay much attention to the cost of it.. seems like everyone wants their piece of the pie.
Same here...haven't been to a sale in ages but I'm sure if you sell a big bunch and with today's high prices the commissions alone will be a chunk. Only way around it is to sell off the farm and then you don't know if you got top dollar or not as you're only dealing with one person operating without competition.

TexasBred":2t1vlmea said:
Limomike":2t1vlmea said:
Same here...haven't been to a sale in ages but I'm sure if you sell a big bunch and with today's high prices the commissions alone will be a chunk. Only way around it is to sell off the farm and then you don't know if you got top dollar or not as you're only dealing with one person operating without competition.
Curious, do you not have cattle anymore? If you do how do you market them?

cowgirl8":6a5n181k said:
For feeder calves there has to be a better way to sell. I understand that cows need buyers and the sale barn is good, but i want every penny out of our calves because we deserve it. I want the middle man cut out!

sale straight to the feedlot a friend told me some feedlots got so desperate for animals they would buy any number you brought to them he sells his straight out the oat field they send a rep who looks them over culls out anything to small or that they don't want then run them on certified scales print out the weight load on an 18 wheeler rep writes him a check and off they go then he just hauls the culls to the sale barn

tom4018":zv36yq8n said:
TexasBred":zv36yq8n said:
Limomike":zv36yq8n said:
Curious, do you not have cattle anymore? If you do how do you market them?

Yeah I have a few..just a handful of crossbreed mongrels. Helps me keep my farm exemption. My neighbor "Mr. Tom" down the road goes every week and if I have anything to sell he picks it up and hauls it. Just sort of lost interest in sitting through sales...can't stay awake for one thing. :lol2:

TexasBred":3tayp6nz said:
Yeah I have a few..just a handful of crossbreed mongrels. Helps me keep my farm exemption. My neighbor "Mr. Tom" down the road goes every week and if I have anything to sell he picks it up and hauls it. Just sort of lost interest in sitting through sales...can't stay awake for one thing. :lol2:
Hey now my crossbreds don't like being called mongrels. :lol: Just kidding, they make some of the best money.

TB i always took napps at the dairy sales.because i knew my buddies would wake me up at the right time.

tom4018":1yor6963 said:
TexasBred":1yor6963 said:
Hey now my crossbreds don't like being called mongrels. :lol: Just kidding, they make some of the best money.
Tom actually these ol' gals are pretty good mothers. Bought most of them from another old man down the road a few miles. They're every color in the world but good sound cattle. I did completely rework my cattle trailer last year but have never hauled a cow/calf in it yet. Guess I really need to sell it but sure is nice to ahve around. I did go to Home Depot with it last week and pick up three new doors and some other gutters. Gonna put gutters on the shop bldg. so my wife can get her new "rain barrel" filled up. (If it ever rains). :lol2:

TexasBred":1ms2sw7d said:
tom4018":1ms2sw7d said:
TexasBred":1ms2sw7d said:
Tom actually these ol' gals are pretty good mothers. Bought most of them from another old man down the road a few miles. They're every color in the world but good sound cattle. I did completely rework my cattle trailer last year but have never hauled a cow/calf in it yet. Guess I really need to sell it but sure is nice to ahve around. I did go to Home Depot with it last week and pick up three new doors and some other gutters. Gonna put gutters on the shop bldg. so my wife can get her new "rain barrel" filled up. (If it ever rains). :lol2:

at the rate we are going take you all year to get that barrel half full dang 7 inches below normal for the year

cowgirl8":wbcjuj3p said:
You can sell right off the farm,IF you can put together a 48,000 lb load of same sex, same weight calves ( about 70 head of 700 lb steers or heifers).

Latest posts