Commercial x Charolais

Help Support CattleToday:

A good charolais bull on commercial cattle will make you money. Buy a bull to compliment your cattle and nothing will touch the pounds of gain with the ability to grade choice/yield grade 1's and a good heavy carcass, not to mention the feed efficiency.
Pallet head or no pallet head. Whatever the hell that is.

MikeC":3vqdeft7 said:
A good charolais bull on commercial cattle will make you money. Buy a bull to compliment your cattle and nothing will touch the pounds of gain with the ability to grade choice/yield grade 1's and a good heavy carcass, not to mention the feed efficiency.

Yeah if you get the huge headed calves pulled and they live, and I doubt if you will ever get a frilly French cattle to grade choice or prime with the
English breeds.

charolais cross well with most anything and always sell well here. biggest thing to be concerned about is getting the calf here, alive. if you have mature cows this shouldnt be a problem.

Char x britisher cattle bring premium prices here. The buyers always seem to sit up and pay attention when good buckskin calves come through the ring.

And no problems with jugheaded Char calves needing pulls as our Char bulls throw nice long calves (nice tidy heads to boot), although we've had to pull a few barrel shaped angus sired calves out of cows that we've bought bred angus. ;-)

Guess it all comes down to the quality and conformation of the bulls and cows that you're crossing. A person generally gets what they pay for, although you don't have to buy the highest selling bull at a sale to get quality stock.

Take care.

hmmm frilly French cattle, thats interesting, they may not grade choice, but they will probably put 100 pounds more calf to sell at weaning.... than your studly english bulls. Last time I looked most people are selling calves by the pound. I think that is the main reason these cattle got a chance to come across the pond a breed. Commercial cattlemen were tired the straight linebred english mutts

Like CA I have had good results from crossing Char to big Herfs.

Tan / buckskin is the colour of choice in my area - good baldies go average.

Bez

i have had charlois bulls with all my cows, except for the group that is pure white and i have had a limo bull with them, for over 10 years. i have never had a charlois bull that had given me calving problems and i have ran from 5-9 bulls at a time all these years. there is nothing that will bring more money than yellow charlois calves in my area----they sell right with blacks, but will outweigh them by 100 lbs. charlois on commercial unless they are pure white will definitely make you money

Interesting comments here. Didn't someone recently say this should be the Angus / Herf board? :D

Bez

i left out one other bull that i have in my comments in my last post. my father decided he liked the looks of watusi cattle in a pasture, so i now have 10 watusi cows and one 1500 lb beautiful watusi bull----so, he is in addition to the charlois bulls in the other pastures-------------Bez, there is another breed to throw in to the angus-hereford boards----lol

houstoncutter":l1oagogt said:
hmmm frilly French cattle, thats interesting, they may not grade choice, but they will probably put 100 pounds more calf to sell at weaning.... than your studly english bulls. Last time I looked most people are selling calves by the pound. I think that is the main reason these cattle got a chance to come across the pond a breed. Commercial cattlemen were tired the straight linebred english mutts

All cows have a live calf weaned at 400 lbs 1.60 a pound (Priceless)
Lost Calfs to large having to pull even at 100 more pounds for the survivors ( worthless)

Secondly I doubt if you know what the commericial Cattleman is looking for.
He is looking for a Live calf born unassited with a good growth on the least input in dollars. In other words he is looking maximum ROCE. Return on Capital Employed. Now Boy that comes from English and Bramer cattle in this part of the world.

Caustic Burno":7jl3gonq said:
MikeC":7jl3gonq said:

Yeah if you get the huge headed calves pulled and they live, and I doubt if you will ever get a frilly French cattle to grade choice or prime with the
English breeds.

Absolutely not true, Hoss. I had a load of herf X char and brangus X char that graded 90% choice last year. ALL yield grade 1 & 2's on the rail and paid good premiums with 5.5 conversion rates. I don't like selling fat, LEAN meat pays the bank.

I admit when chars were introduced here there were some calving problems but it was because the cows at that time were just too small to have these big growthy calves. I bought my first char in 1964, believe me, they have come a long way. My calves weigh 80-90 lbs. which is where I want 'em. Those little 60-70 lb. ones just can't keep up.

You see the article in "BEEF" that stated that only 3% of the Angus bulls sold last year had a Ribeye big enough to sire YG 1 or 2's? Only 1% of the Herfs. Google it, it's called "Gone Flabby". Yield grades are where the money is in the cattle business son, or have you never fed any?

You're clouding up the truth son!

MikeC":2algrx0g said:
Caustic Burno":2algrx0g said:
MikeC":2algrx0g said:

English breeds.

Absolutely not true, Hoss. I had a load of herf X char and brangus X char that graded 90% choice last year. ALL yield grade 1 & 2's on the rail and paid good premiums with 5.5 conversion rates. I don't like selling fat, LEAN meat pays the bank.

I admit when chars were introduced here there were some calving problems but it was because the cows at that time were just too small to have these big growthy calves. I bought my first char in 1964, believe me, they have come a long way. My calves weigh 80-90 lbs. which is where I want 'em. Those little 60-70 lb. ones just can't keep up.

You see the article in "BEEF" that stated that only 3% of the Angus bulls sold last year had a Ribeye big enough to sire YG 1 or 2's? Only 1% of the Herfs. Google it, it's called "Gone Flabby". Yield grades are where the money is in the cattle business son, or have you never fed any?

I would expect nothing less from a breeder trying to promote his breed.
Nothing wrong with being proud of what you raise.
You and Frankie need to start an arguement on Cont's and Brits and we will watch the rodeo.
If you want to grade its going to have to be Herf, Angus, Shorthorn or Devon. No breed brings it all, so don't try blowin smoke. If you want yield you go with the Cont's, where you also get a lot of loose screws.

Caustic Burno":2smlkvkl said:
MikeC":2smlkvkl said:
Caustic Burno":2smlkvkl said:
MikeC":2smlkvkl said:

English breeds.

I would expect nothing less from a breeder trying to promote his breed.
Nothing wrong with being proud of what you raise.
You and Frankie need to start an arguement on Cont's and Brits and we will watch the rodeo.
If you want to grade its going to have to be Herf, Angus, Shorthorn or Devon. No breed brings it all, so don't try blowin smoke. If you want yield you go with the Cont's, where you also get a lot of loose screws.

You're not getting Frankie in on this argument, but I will throw in this: When we moved back here in 1983, some of the large ranches were running Charolais but, as far as I know, there aren't any in my county any more. That tells you something. As for weaning/yearling weights, look at the bull tests and you'll see a lot of Angus bulls with adjusted YWs right there with the Charolais. I'll give Charolais and Limousin yield grade...today. But Angus breeders are working on that too. I see articles in the Angus Journal on a regular basis about people selling calves grading Choice or better, YG1 & 2 out of Angus genetics. Given time; we'll get there.

I have no argument with Frankie. I respect ALL cattle breeders who do a good job. It takes all kind of cattle to meet the market needs now and I wish them all well.

Having said that, remember, the ONLY FREE RIDE we will ever get in the cattle business is "Heterosis". Taking full advantage of it will put $'s in the pocket if done correctly. Have a great day!

WOW!

I am both a purebred and commercial breeder, My market for purebred charolais is to the commercial breeder that has angus a (black or red, mostly red) influenced herd. These folks beleive in what they do because its making them money. As stated several times prior, the yellow/buckskin calves are in high demand. I dont think it is because of their color but because of their performance. No matter if you choose to use a white bull on red cows or a black bull on white cows or whatever the combination may be you will be taking advantage of what was termed above as "the free ride". We (my sons & I ) are building a small herd (by some standards) of around 40 F1 females (Charolais sire x Red Angus dam) selling all the steers and getting the same as or sometimes a little more than the black hided calves in this corner of the world. But I think the best money is still to come when I breed these F1's, I have not decided which way to go there yet, we are giving thought to limo, gelv or simm, not sure black angus is the right move here. But to get to the point, the use of the correct charolais genetics will make you money. I must add that as with any mating the breeder needs to do their homework, you cant just grab a bull (any flavor) and go at it.
My penny's worth.

1/2 Charolais sired calves in the feedlot pen with Angus cavles out of the same cows will boost % CAB.

mtnman

Latest posts