Commercial steer..CharX? X Gelbvieh

Help Support CattleToday:

hillsdown

Reaction score
I thought I would take the average steer of my commercial herd that are all being culled this year and post a pic of him. They are on a very very badly drought stricken pasture with no creep. I doubt any (cows calves) will live longer than finishing or a couple days after the sale. So here is an average rep of my commercial herd..

IMG_1858.jpg

IMG_1860.jpg

IMG_1855.jpg

Average? You sure? :shock:

He sure looks a heck of a lot more than average to me...

What do some of your better ones look like? And how old is this one here, 14 months?

Nope average, not great but not poor, IluvAB. He was born Feb 6th 2009, BW weight 87 lbs. he is probably around 800 right now.

This is why I am heart broken to disperse most of my herd all most likely to slaughter, his dam is a frame 6 at best and yet she does this on crappy pasture and milk. She is a 2004 calf and has given me a money maker every year but nothing exceptional about her.

The steer is the middle of the road. The most exceptional one of have is my twin bull calf whose dam raised both on nothing but pasture and milk. This is Gelbvieh, and what it can add to a herd. ;-)

No funnel but here .. ;-)

A 6 month old 800 lb calf...I'm very impressed. :tiphat: Without seeing him in actuality he is easily mistaken as being older than 6 months.

I know this drought is tough on you, sure makes for even harder choices when having to ship out your best cows. But I'm still surprised when you say he's the "middle of the road." Honestly.

Nope, certainly no funnel butt atall. :D

Very nice Calf HD. I mighta guessed him a little lighter than you but what do I know?

I can see why you don't want to cull those cows.

3waycross":1rivkvox said:
Very nice Calf HD. I mighta guessed him a little lighter than you but what do I know?

I can see why you don't want to cull those cows.

No you are right 3wc, a neighbor came and picked out two of my top steers early this morn. for him to finish for their freezer. They were thicker deeper and yep heavier than this guy. One was just around 8 and the other around 765. So this guy is around 7-725 ..

If I could cull them for the price I got today I would kinda be happy about it.. :lol2:

look at puttig a little more lenght on him and your topping the market, but he is a good calf. way to use those GELBVIEH BULLS. they will get it done.

deenranch":35n4ycoc said:
grass sure looks green to be in a drought... Tank also looks pretty full....

What grass ? There isn't any ,there are just weeds that have grown and I don't want to spray them as the cattle are actually eating what little there are. :lol2: The reason it isn't all brown like you would see in your area is that thankfully we have not had really hot temps this year, we have only had maybe 3 weeks of temps over 85 ,,and that is not usual, but has also saved our pastures; however the crop land did not grow even after we got a little rain.. No heat.

This is actually my calving pen that they were not to be allowed back in until next year, but now I let them go where ever they want.

The "tank" is a little hole with about 1 inch of muddy water. They have automatic waterers at the top with well water that they drink out of. Where that calf is standing should be full of slough grass and water. All of the water holes have completely dried up this year. Thank goodness we have wells and automatic waters all over for them.

S&WSigma40VEShooter":2dv6xj3j said:
Id eat him. I bet he will taste good on someone's plate.

They will taste great and won't take long to finish. I just hope my regular feeder buyers have enough feed to give my guys a home this year. I have been called by two of my regular buyers as to when they will be hitting the road so we will see when they get booked in..
Fingers crossed.. :)

Latest posts