Commercial home kept bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
This home spun commercial bull talk, will get ya black listed here. With the warning out, I must confess. I've had several over the years. No more hit or miss, than the ones I travel to the sales to buy.

Muddy

Reaction score
I've sold commercial bull calves as bulls to few people who wanted to use them on their cows. Registered bulls doesn't always produce best calves or best replacements.

ALACOWMAN

Reaction score
Bigfoot":1yst0s19 said:
This home spun commercial bull talk, will get ya black listed here. With the warning out, I must confess. I've had several over the years. No more hit or miss, than the ones I travel to the sales to buy.
you don't know till you try...and the sad part is,the results don't happen overnight..man even wanted to buy him before his first calf hit the ground...I thought ain't no way I'm selling a unproven bull. If his calves came to big and killed some,had trouble or were dinks that didn't grow..didnt want to deal with that..that cost me ...

Muddy

Reaction score
True Grit Farms":ql3owj36 said:
I'd never put a home grown unregistered bull on heifers. You don't know what might line up and show up.
No different from registered bull that was unproven....lot of folks got burned with registered bulls.

True Grit Farms

Reaction score
Muddy":3hu6hgws said:
True Grit Farms":3hu6hgws said:
I'd never put a home grown unregistered bull on heifers. You don't know what might line up and show up.
No different from registered bull that was unproven....lot of folks got burned with registered bulls.
Got burned on what? Sure not birthweight using a registered Angus bull. The EPD'S and DNA testing has eliminated birth weight issues on the high side using Angus. IMO the calves are getting to small in the Angus breed.

ALACOWMAN

Reaction score
Muddy":bkt0zgh7 said:
True Grit Farms":bkt0zgh7 said:
Usually, registered bulls come from proven cow lines, .the predictability is there For the most part...

True Grit Farms

Reaction score
ALACOWMAN":sanxxflm said:
Muddy":sanxxflm said:
True Grit Farms":sanxxflm said:
Usually, registered bulls come from proven cow lines, .the predictability is there For the most part...
We've been really dry since August. But I've been feeding 6# of good feed a day and free choice 8-10% hay to Charolais cross cows and haven't seen anything close to a 80 lb calf. And my Angus an SimAngus cows are having calves in the 65 lb range. Everything has been alive and is growing good so I'm not complaining.

Lazy M

Reaction score

I'll bite. The one on the left is out of a pb Lim cow, the one on the right is out of a 1/2 gelbvieh 1/2 angus cow. They were both ai sired by SAV Bruiser. I think that they were both 11 mos in the pic in Aug. I have them running with our fall bred cows now. We'll see how they do.

True Grit Farms

Reaction score
Good looking bulls, but the one on the left wouldn't go on any heifers till I saw his first calf crop. He has a big square looking head in the picture.

Lazy M

Reaction score
True Grit Farms":zziwekeu said:
Good looking bulls, but the one on the left wouldn't go on any heifers till I saw his first calf crop. He has a big square looking head in the picture.
Agreed. He had an actual bw of under 75 lbs but I wouldn't put any unproven homegrown bull on heifers.

mrvictordomino

Reaction score
I use homegrown, unproven bulls on heifers every year......But I have forty years of breeding in these bulls. Pretty confident in what they are going to produce.

gcreekrch

Reaction score
True Grit Farms":1k9v6zag said:

Depends on how well you know your own cow families.

Latest posts