commercial herd bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Rod

Reaction score
What is the best breed to obtain the rapidist gains, since we are selling pounds instead of color here.My registered angus just does't seem to get the weight on them that quickly. my commercial herd are just a mixed breed herd with about a 900-1200 pound cows.

Personally, I prefer Charolais first (tan calves sell very well in this area) and Simmental second as commercial herdsires on Britisher and Britisher cross cows.

Of course, alot depends on the quality of sire and if you want soggy calves in the fall gotta have a momma that can lay the fat onto their calf. Just being 'Captain Obvious'. ;-)

Interested in reading other folks preferences.

Time to hit the road.

Take care.

Based on USDA MARC research - no other breed grows faster to weaning than Simmental sired calves. Also, (according to MARC) Simmental femailes wean heavier calves than any Continental or British breed.

Try a Gelbvieh. From what I've seen they seem to grow some big calves when crossed on commercial cattle and they come in red or black so the buyers can have matching groups of calves.

Something with frame and thickness, just be careful using certain breeds on smaller cows or heifers. Use 3 and 4 year old cows that milk, get them to 7 or 8 years and then sell them. This helps reduce calving problems, these animals take the stresses better, and they are putting out some of their best calves. I would think a registered Charolais or Simmental with a light birth weight EPD would put frame and muscle, but your losses at calving might be greater depending on what they are used on, and you will take a hit, or a cost to dehorn them

The way i look at angus is smaller cows only more of them. With angus you don't have calving problems. We run 1000lb. cows and we just run more of them. When you run 1500 lb. cows to get bigger calves they eat more and you can't run as many cows.

CattleAnnie":3mdjtv6o said:
Personally, I prefer Charolais first (tan calves sell very well in this area) and Simmental second as commercial herdsires on Britisher and Britisher cross cows.

Of course, alot depends on the quality of sire and if you want soggy calves in the fall gotta have a momma that can lay the fat onto their calf. Just being 'Captain Obvious'. ;-)

Interested in reading other folks preferences.

Time to hit the road.

Take care.

I agree with Miss/Mrs. Anne on the Charolais I would also consider Brangus if you are not to far north.

I would have to go with a Limousin bull. Limi sired calves are mighty thick and perform well and they will consistantly have heavier weaning weights than most other calves .

polledbull":5m5rdag1 said:
I would have to go with a Limousin bull. Limi sired calves are mighty thick and perform well and they will consistantly have heavier weaning weights than most other calves .

I think this is a good choice too...(besides the two I mentioned earlier) Although, Herefords are proven to have the most heterosis in outcrossing.. :)

Rod":2cqq2zn4 said:
What is the best breed to obtain the rapidist gains, since we are selling pounds instead of color here.My registered angus just does't seem to get the weight on them that quickly. my commercial herd are just a mixed breed herd with about a 900-1200 pound cows.

rod, sometimes its not the bulls fault... depends on the quality of the cows you have too. a good set of braford or tigerstripe cows usually make any bull look decent.. and the good ones look outstanding..

there are good bulls in a lot of breeds, and you were given a pretty good variety to choose from by others.. it will boil down to your preference. choose a bull from a proven rancher, look at his calves.. if they stack up to what you want, get one and get a bull that has the epd's that you want.

good luck

jmo

jt

Latest posts