Commercial Beef

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

What type of beef am I buying from the supermarket butcher (given there's no breed type on the label)? Do different chains sell different types ? What about small local restaurants? I asked the waitress at a local dennys about the name of the cattle they use and both the waitress and the cook didn't know.

[email protected]

Interesting. My "Wild A-- Guess" is that they are buying their meat from the most convenient and dependable wholesaler who has the best price for the quality they are selling. Not surprised at those cooks responses--they are "cooks" not buyers...lol.

Since the meat in supermarket is not DNA or Blood-typed...lol...doubt seriously if anyone could identify where meat came from by looking at it. Also, specific "labeling" of cattle type (or source) of the beef "might" elicit some legal liabilities for the meat market???--or, incite the wrath of a producer selling another cattle breed of meat...lol.

[email protected]

Don, here in the US we feed about 45-50 different cattle breeds in our feedlots. As far as I know, only Certified Angus Beef (CAB) and Certified Hereford Beef (CHB) are nation wide, breed based, USDA certified beef programs. A major component in becoming CAB is the animal must be at least 51% black. That is considered verification of the Angus influence. I think that CHB requires a Hereford white face, but wouldn't swear to that. I've include a link to the USDA site about branded beef. The majority of cattle in the US are crossbred. When you go into a restaurant or to your local meat counter there's no way to tell what breed that steak came from unless you buy CAB or CHB. And generic ground beef probably came from several breeds.

<A HREF="http://www.ams.usda.gov/lsg/certprog/certbeef.htm" TARGET="_blank">http://www.ams.usda.gov/lsg/certprog/certbeef.htm</A>

> What type of beef am I buying from
> the supermarket butcher (given
> there's no breed type on the
> label)? Do different chains sell
> different types ? What about small
> local restaurants? I asked the
> waitress at a local dennys about
> the name of the cattle they use
> and both the waitress and the cook
> didn't know.

What you refer to is a question that many comsumers have. There are many breeds and countries providing these breeds to the suppermarkets. Hambuger may have as many as 65 different cows repersented in a single patty. All the cows may be of different breeds or crosses from anywhere in the world. That is a mouth watering thought. That is why, in my opinion, why we need a national ID program and Country Of Orgin Labeling system to imform consumers where their food comes from. Besides, I think it will enhance the sales of US Beef in this country.

My own experence several years ago was with crawfish. I was buying on price at the supermarket when I descovered the crawfish I was purchasing was from China. I thought of the purity of their water and from that time on I have always purchased US produced crawfish although it cost more. I think the same will happen to beef if we can varify that it is US Beef. A national animal ID program will allow COOL to become available with reduced cost. The national ID program is necessary to control and monitor animal welfare.

[email protected]

> Don, here in the US we feed about
> 45-50 different cattle breeds in
> our feedlots. As far as I know,
> only Certified Angus Beef (CAB)
> and Certified Hereford Beef (CHB)
> are nation wide, breed based, USDA
> certified beef programs. A major
> component in becoming CAB is the
> animal must be at least 51% black.
> That is considered verification of
> the Angus influence. I think that
> CHB requires a Hereford white
> face, but wouldn't swear to that.
> I've include a link to the USDA
> site about branded beef. The
> majority of cattle in the US are
> crossbred. When you go into a
> restaurant or to your local meat
> counter there's no way to tell
> what breed that steak came from
> unless you buy CAB or CHB. And
> generic ground beef probably came
> from several breeds.

>
> <A HREF="http://www.ams.usda.gov/lsg/certprog/certbeef.htm" TARGET="_blank">http://www.ams.usda.gov/lsg/certprog/certbeef.htm</A> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~just cause its marked cab or chb doesnt prove nothing .i wouldnt pay more for it.~~~~~~~~Tc

~~~~thats like the womon reported a UFO flying over.they ask her how she knew it was a UFO. she said cause it had UFO wrote across the bottom of it!~~~~~~~~~~~Tc

> Many people do pay more for it
> though (CAB,CHB) and I have as
> well. I have never eaten a bad CAB
> steak. Just my 2 cents worth. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~yeaa but do you realy know wwhat breed it came from? you can get great steaks without paying cab prices.~~~~~~~~~~Tc

I like the idea of CooL, I want to know where my things come from. My animals on the other hand are mine and I do not want No one else, in my business,.; No electric tags , no reg. with the Goverment , no welfare checks from anyone, they are my business ..ALF...

[email protected]

You never know what you're getting in a super market ,that's why I prefer butchering my own cattle that way I know what it is and what it was fed, for the most part we've always had good beef

[email protected]

Latest posts