comments please

Help Support CattleToday:

ROB

Reaction score
posted a picture of this march, 06 heifer before- now she is a little more grown up - ai'd to calve in march,08 - all comments are appreciated.

DSCF0197.jpg

a few of the cows - black cow w/2 tags is one of the recips.

DSCF0207.jpg

I'd take her.What is she AI'D too? Same breed? With that breed what are the birth weights?I wanted to cross a few with a Brahman just to see how they would do as mother cows.

texast- she's ai'd to Risson. our avg. bw for heifers is 78# and 85# for bulls. i know quite a few people in texas and mexico are using braunvieh bull on brahman cows with good results. better carcasses and still good for heat tolerance.

OK Jeanne- not a brown swiss, shes a braunvieh.

thanks,
ROB

Rob,

She'd pass as a twin to a cow I have. Amazing how much they look alike, only mine is much thicker now. Mine came from the sale barn as a bottle calf. A split off of a Char Brammer cross (so they said). Actually just put her on a nurse cow and she grafted well. She's now dropped her third calf and I really like her. Been breeding her to my brangus bull and getting excellent calves. Kept one heifer out of that mix so far.

The white around the nose, the skin color and everything else matches perfect.

ALACOWMAN":3uuajrf6 said:
don't know much about the breed...but she's a fine looking heifer.their colored alot like brown swiss

Real simple reason they're colored the same. Braunvieh is to Brown Swiss what Shorthorn is to Milking Shorthorn.

braunvieh and brown swiss are two different breeds.....thats why she is braunvieh and not a brown swiss....duh

I've always thought braunvieh were interesting animals but around here they go over about as well as a lead balloon.

cfpinz

TNMasterBeefProducer":3h7xk6g3 said:
Rob if she aint a brown swiss then why do they call braunvieh beef brown swiss? Secondly they are brown swiss as there is a dairy line(brown swiss) and a beef line (braunvieh) just like milking shorthorns and beef shorthorns and Gelbvieh being a dual purpose breed milk cows in Germany and beef cows over here. Same thing with the braunvieh.
if the name braunveih means >brown cow< and is a beef only version. regardless she is not a dual purpose cow . and pretty much would be a different animal than the brown swiss

TNMasterBeefProducer":1pybj95q said:
Braunvieh is called beef brown swiss.
  • Need I say more?
Dun pretty much said the same thing that I did. That is braunvieh is the beef version of the brown swiss and the brown swiss is used as dairy.
no but you probably will.. your post indicates their the same animal.... and why do you need to explain too the man the breed of cattle he is raising?

ALACOWMAN":2vxa5iha said:
TNMasterBeefProducer":2vxa5iha said:
  • Need I say more?
Dun pretty much said the same thing that I did. That is braunvieh is the beef version of the brown swiss and the brown swiss is used as dairy.
no but you probably will.. your post indicates their the same animal.... and why do you need to explain too the man the breed of cattle he is raising?

Understatement of the year.

The way I understand it, Brown swiss were derived from the braunvieh breed. But I didn't get to go to the Tennessee Master Beef Producer course, what do I know?

cfpinz

cfpinz":1sxg27yz said:
The way I understand it, Brown swiss were derived from the braunvieh breed. But I didn't get to go to the Tennessee Master Beef Producer course, what do I know?

cfpinz
:lol: :lol: :lol:

TNMasterBeefProducer-
The most asked question directed at most Braunvieh breeders is, "What is a Braunvieh?" or "What kind of a crossbreed is Braunvieh?" We hope to answer all the questions in this information.

Braunvieh first of all is not a crossbreed or a new breed developed using two or more breeds. On the contrary, Braunvieh may be the oldest pure breed on earth, with records dating back to 800 B.C. Recently, archeologists have found cattle bones among the ruins of the ancient Swiss Lake Dwellers similar to those of the present day Braunvieh. This would date these cattle in the region to the Bronze Age.

This is the docile breed associated with the scenic Swiss Alps. Development of the breed came into its own in the 18th century in the mountain valleys of Switzerland and production records on milk and meat performance were established in the 19th century. Today, roughly 40% of the cattle in Switzerland are Braunvieh and they have spread throughout the world. Due to their high performance and adaptability, Braunvieh are used in all major countries of the world. Braunvieh are found in over 60 countries extending from the Arctic Circle to the tropics at altitudes varying between 0 and 12,500 feet. World population of Braunvieh is over 7,000,000 head. Herdbooks are being kept by breeders' associations in 42 countries.

Braunvieh in North America

Approximately 130 head of Braunvieh were imported into the United States from Switzerland between 1869 and 1880. This was the basis for the development of the American Brown Swiss that was declared a dairy breed in 1890, and therefore became a different breed. American Brown Swiss have since spread to Canada, Mexico and throughout the world including Switzerland. In the mid-nineteen hundreds, Original Braunviehs were imported by Mexico where they have flourished as a beef breed. In Mexico, they are used in a commercial capacity to upgrade the beef characteristics of the indigenous Zebu cattle. There, separate herdbooks are kept for the cattle, sometimes referred to as European type Brown Swiss and American Brown Swiss.

Canada's first importation of Original Braunvieh, the bull Aron, was in 1968. Subsequently, more bulls and females were imported directly into Canada in several importations between 1968 and 1985. These were selected in Europe with emphasis on beef production. In Canada, Original Braunvieh cattle are registered by the Canadian Brown Swiss Association and are referred to as Beef Brown Swiss. They are registered separately from the Dairy Brown Swiss. Many breeders in Canada are members of the Braunvieh Association of America and some of their cattle are registered in the United States.

Original Swiss Braunvieh were imported directly into the United States from Switzerland in 1983. Since then a significant exchange of breeding stock has taken place between American and Canadian breeders. In the 1990s, there have been several importations of Original Braunvieh from Europe in the form of frozen embryos. The Braunvieh breed association in the United States (The Braunvieh Association of America) was organized and incorporated in 1984.

In the late 1960s, in order to increase milk production, Switzerland began importing American Brown Swiss semen to use on the native Original Braunviehs. As a result the majority of the Braunvieh cattle in Switzerland as well as other European countries today have been crossed with Brown Swiss. The Swiss Braunvieh Association registers all Braunvieh cattle in Switzerland, but the cattle that have no Brown Swiss in their pedigree are certified to be Original and have the words Original Braunvieh stamped on the certificate of registry. There is an association of breeders in Switzerland organized for the purpose of preserving and promoting the Original Braunvieh breed, the Swiss Original Braunvieh Association (SOBA).

if you don't agree - take it up with the various associations and straighten them out :roll:
ROB

cfpinz":1pak2jh3 said:
ALACOWMAN":1pak2jh3 said:
TNMasterBeefProducer":1pak2jh3 said:
  • Need I say more?

Understatement of the year.

[list
  • ]The way I understand it, Brown swiss were derived from the braunvieh breed.
[/list] But I didn't get to go to the Tennessee Master Beef Producer course, what do I know?

cfpinz
;-)

Rob, thanks for clarifying the origins of the breed - again, for those who don't seem to remember the damn argument every time it comes up. As for your heifer, I like her. Deep bodied and appears easy-fleshing.

Rob, I really like her looks like she has a nice deep body.
I appreciate the Braunvieh breed and have always been a fan ;too bad they don't get the recognition they deserve.
Hope she has a heifer calf.

hrbelgians":1r2gone7 said:
OK Jeanne- maybe we could talk Murray's ;-)

W/out doubt, Murray Greys are our breed of choice.
We do have a brown swiss milk cow(Heidi)---I tell
all the little kids that she gives chocolate milk!
We use her, and a Guernsey, for recipients. Plus they
have plenty of milk for us also if we want to milk them
for household milk. We have a group of young open, purebred
Murray Grey heifers planned for replacements - and
Heidi makes a great babysitter. They follow her around
the pasture everywhere---and into the pen when we
want to catch them. She is the "lead" cow -- and can
run amazingly fast (chasing us on the 4 wheeler or
golf cart) on those long legs.

Latest posts