Comments please!

Help Support CattleToday:

TheBullLady

Reaction score
Ok.. what does everyone think of this heifer? She's a November heifer.
KHeifer1.jpg
[/img]

Well I'll give you your money worth. She needs more depth and if your showing a cleaner neck, if not the neck doesn't bother me. Otherwise she's purty.

i too think she needs more depth for carrying capacity and in the butt. but at that age who knows? nice lines though.

More depth, and I would want to see her walk, hard to see for sure in the picture but looks like she might be a little too straight in the legs and shoulder.

She's Simmental. A stupid question.. can they "grow into" their neck? I've had that problem before. The 14 month old heifer I showed this year actually grew into hers more than I thought she would.

Would y'all say that in looking at pre-weaning calves, you can get an idea of what their mature depth will be? Or would you pass on her, assuming she won't improve?

Looks like she might be big shouldered. Other than that I like her a lot. Like Cowboy13 said, she has good lines.

I like this heifer and agree with most the others. She look like she might lack depth but then again, she's green. She's got nice lines on her and a sweat collar will clean that neck up nicely.

Not a bad looking heifer especially for her age-that's not the best pose. Looks as if she's straining her neck to see something over past the fence. How about another shot from the side where she's not angled like she is in this photo?

Does anyone else think she might be a little post legged in the front and shoulders? Just asking because starting to doubt myself on this one. Is it just me?

Not meant to incite to riot just wondering if I am seeing something that is not there? :D

You may be having trouble with the angle of the picture. And I think she is leaning down hill a little too.
I think the slope on the shoulder is fine. Not too steep.

I think she needs more flex in her rear hocks so that she can travel a little freeier and easier, She does have good straight lines and I appreciate the fact that she is deeper in her rear flank than she is in her heart girth. Could be a tad deeper , but at 4 months of age that is hard to tell how she will turn out. The fact that she runs down hill a little tells me that she has some grow in her. She will level out as she matures. The extra leather on her neck does not bother me as much as some people as I raise Brahman -influenced cattle and that just is part of them. In the south, that extra skin is just more surface area to dissipate heat.

aplusmnt":290f6dn3 said:
Does anyone else think she might be a little post legged in the front and shoulders? Just asking because starting to doubt myself on this one. Is it just me?

Not meant to incite to riot just wondering if I am seeing something that is not there? :D

I haven't given my opinion yet, so now may be as good a time as any. The heifer has some really good, straight lines. For her age, she has plenty of depth and performance. She has plenty of growth, and appears to have adequate thickness for the Show Ring. She is too trashy in the neck to compete with most Simmental heifers. The neck sweats are not going to help enough. She does appear to be very straight on both ends. Only seeing her walk would tell for sure. Even if she is free moving now, as straight as she is, it might affect her as she matures.

Looks to me like her back feet and front feet are about on the same level. The hfr in back of her looks like her feet are on the same level too and they both appear to be high in the rear.

Latest posts