Comments On Hay Analysis?

Help Support CattleToday:

Running Arrow Bill

Reaction score
I recently had 3 different batches of round bales of hay tested that we bought this fall (out of about 100 or so bales). The hay was 2005 crop. TAMU test results were:

Bermuda Sample #1: 12.3% Protein
Bermuda Sample #2: 12.7% Protein
Haygrazer Sample: 8.9% Protein

What is y'alls opinion of this hay? Note: Cattle are eating it fine.

Thanks!

Running Arrow Bill":2wefrxh9 said:
I recently had 3 different batches of round bales of hay tested that we bought this fall (out of about 100 or so bales). The hay was 2005 crop. TAMU test results were:

Thanks!

Yup - my comment is I would immediately stop feeding anything other than straight hay and some mineral - they are getting all that they need.

Bez!

That is slightly above average for protien. For comparison, if I cut my coastal at 4-5 weeks, I can get over 14%. Most people cut at 6-8 weeks and get 8-10%.

Bez!":3sam8o6g said:
Running Arrow Bill":3sam8o6g said:

Thanks!

Yup - my comment is I would immediately stop feeding anything other than straight hay and some mineral - they are getting all that they need.

Bez!

Thanks! We don't feed anything except hay and mineral. Use cubes for "training". Bermuda pasture too when we have it...lol.

Wish i had some of it, its getting harder in my area get decent hay.... Everyone is trying to sell what they call horse hay....What a joke! Good luck

johndeerefarmer":2ujugqxv said:
That is slightly above average for protien. For comparison, if I cut my coastal at 4-5 weeks, I can get over 14%. Most people cut at 6-8 weeks and get 8-10%.

LSU did a study and found peak protein at the 28 day mark. It's ashamed to see people let the hay pastures grow for 2 months or more and then cut because they'll "get more". All, ofcourse, assuming decent rain.

Latest posts