Coming in heat way early

Help Support CattleToday:

kid

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am still very new to farming. Last summer we got our first 2 highland heifers at 6 months of age. I was told that they shouldn't be bred until their 2 years old. Last week, they both came in heat. Is this normal? Their hardly one year old. Or do these cycles start before there ready to bred?
Can someone please give me a brief birds and bees story on cows. (When they can breed, how often they come in heat, how long that lasts...)
holy smokes, I dont understand human females, I'm having a heck of a time figuring this one out. :lol2:
Go easy, like I said, I am new to this.
Thanks

Yes, its normal.
Yes, they come into heat before they should be bred.
Typically cattle are bred for the first time betweem 15 and 18 months.
They will come into heat every 21 days.
Buy Storeys Guide to Raising Beef Cattle.
Good Book.

Maybe someone will add more to this, its 0413 ~ so I may be off.
Good luck!

angie":2zkerj71 said:
Yes, its normal.
Good Book.

Good luck!
Ditto to what Angie said.
Also somewhat dependent on breed and weight. Some breeds of cattle mature a little quicker than others. Not quite sure about Highlands, maybe one of our Highlands folks will jump on here and help you out.
Generally though, if you just wait until they are at least 15 months old, as Angie stated, you shouldn't have any trouble, provided they are bred to a suitable bull.

It should work out just about right in order for you to get some new calves next spring. You could breed them in June and have calves the following March. They would also be 16 months at breeding, should work out great!

The Highland breeders do not breed their heifers until they are 2 years old to calve as 3 year olds. I believe that is because they are so small and usually late maturing. But, I'm not a HL breeder.

at that age its normal for them to start cycling an coming into heat.an as said people chose the age they want to breed an calve there heifers.

In some cow familys it's not unusual for them to start cycling before they're weaned.

angie":34ukivvy said:
Yes, its normal.
Good Book.

Good luck!

Angie
Two questions. Why didn't you give him some insight into the behavior of human females so we could all benefit.

Question number two. @4:13 AM are you just gettin out, or just gettin in.

I hope you didn't think you were going to job me out of that black baldie heifer and not pay the price for it.

kid":eg4tmvr0 said:
Hi Everyone,

I am still very new to farming. Last summer we got our first 2 highland heifers at 6 months of age. I was told that they shouldn't be bred until their 2 years old.

I have highland and highland/crosses, what you were told is true. They are a little later to mature as Jeanne pointed out here.

Last week, they both came in heat. Is this normal? Their hardly one year old. Or do these cycles start before there ready to bred?

If they were 6 months last summer, that puts them at around 10-12 months now right? I had one cycle last summer at around 5-6 months. As a newbie myself I didn't think that could happen, it did and she was bred as the bull was on the cows at the time. Gave her and another heifer a shot of Lute that took care of any unwanted surprises. Learned an important lesson there.

Can someone please give me a brief birds and bees story on cows. (When they can breed, how often they come in heat, how long that lasts...)

Angie gave you the rest of the story there with cycling and definitely like Angie said get the Storey's book and anything else you can get your hands on for reading material.

holy smokes, I dont understand human females, I'm having a heck of a time figuring this one out. :lol2:
Thanks

I really do appreciate you all. Everything everyone said, this is great...thanks alot.

kid":2n513di2 said:
Hi Everyone,
Can someone please give me a brief birds and bees story on cows.
Thanks
Cows are hella lot easier!

Hippie Rancher":3el3lzko said:
kid":3el3lzko said:
Hi Everyone,
Can someone please give me a brief birds and bees story on cows.
Thanks
Cows are hella lot easier!
Agreed! And just as a sidenote as to how early heifers can start cycling and get serviced, I have a couple replacements every year that come in bred. For this reason I give all replacements a shot of Lut and Dex to prevent any of those surprises. As was said, it is very dependant on the breed. I have Gelb X and they mature very early.