Comfort Food!

Help Support CattleToday:

Kathie in Thorp

Reaction score
I couldn't pass up a great big pkg. of turkey legs at the store the other day -- they just screamed TURKEY SOUP at me (and we also had some left-over turkey in the freezer from TG). So, the beginnings are simmering on the stove, while the snow is coming down steady outside. :)

Kathie in Thorp":1brvgtfb said:
I couldn't pass up a great big pkg. of turkey legs at the store the other day -- they just screamed TURKEY SOUP at me (and we also had some left-over turkey in the freezer from TG). So, the beginnings are simmering on the stove, while the snow is coming down steady outside. :)

That sounds good Kathie . I am thinking that I should make some oxtail soup this week, although we are back out of the deep freeze finally . :D

Turkey soup??? Oxtail soup??? You folks are getting mightly low in the freezer it seems. That stuff would make a fellow look seriously at a plate of chittlins. :lol2:

HA! Have way plenty of beef in the freezer, TB. And chicken; and some fish; and a couple hams and some other pork. Just wanted something else . . . . turkey soup. Almost time. Noodles or dumplings?

TexasBred":324176lx said:
Turkey soup??? Oxtail soup??? You folks are getting mightly low in the freezer it seems. That stuff would make a fellow look seriously at a plate of chittlins. :lol2:

Seriously , there ain't nothing in the world that would make me look at a plate of chitlins . Blech !

Ox tail soup (made by me anyways) is the best . :D

shakes his head at the thought of chitlins an cracklins.but i gotta ask HD what in the world is in oxtail soup.

Kathie in Thorp":11n14cko said:
HA! Have way plenty of beef in the freezer, TB. And chicken; and some fish; and a couple hams and some other pork. Just wanted something else . . . . turkey soup. Almost time. Noodles or dumplings?
Must be saving all that good stuff for company Kathie. ;-)

Jogeephus":6hlsjon3 said:
Oxtail, turkey leg, clam chowder so what other soups do ya'll make?
Hubby's favorite is Navy Bean & Ham -- he could eat it 6 days a week (but we'd have to invest in a better in-house air filtration system!). And we both like Split Pea & Ham. Beef Stew, of course. I don't make soup as often as I should. It's usually something I think of when I have left-overs that can go into a pot with something else left over in the produce drawer.

hillsdown":3fvfyqsh said:
bigbull338":3fvfyqsh said:
ok now i got you,you cook the tail in a soup pot.an it makes a broth.

This one is pretty close to how I make it .
http://homecooking.about.com/od/soups/r/blss85.htm

Might be making New England Clam Chowder instead ,haven't made it in a while. The best part of that, is deglazing the bacon pan with white wine . :tiphat:

I draw the line at possum .. :lol: :p

Kathie in Thorp":307yvi2t said:
Jogeephus":307yvi2t said:
Oxtail, turkey leg, clam chowder so what other soups do ya'll make?
Hubby's favorite is Navy Bean & Ham -- he could eat it 6 days a week (but we'd have to invest in a better in-house air filtration system!). And we both like Split Pea & Ham. Beef Stew, of course. I don't make soup as often as I should. It's usually something I think of when I have left-overs that can go into a pot with something else left over in the produce drawer.

That's how my mom always did it. Nothing like a good soup.

The different soups I make are Ox tail, clam chowder ,cream of leak/potato, broccoli jalapeno cheddar ,borscht ,beef barley vegetable, BBQ salmon chowder ,split pea and ham ,french onion ,wor wonton, hot and sour.

Make them thick and hearty so they are a meal, not just a starter.

Borscht is a summer soup, great when you can use veggies from your garden.

I do several soups, like hillsdown I make them thick and hearty. Bean w/Ham, Split pea w/ham, Creamy Potato, Vegetable beef or pork, Chicken stew w/dumplings, New England style Clam Chowder, boiled dinner, cheddar broccoli, seven bean white chili and regular chili.

Been wondering what to do with the Oxtail...I'm thinking it's gonna be soup!

Crazy Farmgirl":2q19623v said:
I do several soups, like hillsdown I make them thick and hearty. Bean w/Ham, Split pea w/ham, Creamy Potato, Vegetable beef or pork, Chicken stew w/dumplings, New England style Clam Chowder, boiled dinner, cheddar broccoli, seven bean white chili and regular chili.

Been wondering what to do with the Oxtail...I'm thinking it's gonna be soup!

Got a dog? :lol2:

Latest posts