Columbus sailed the ocen blue.

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd

Reaction score
Columbus discovered America in 1492. 449 years later Hurleyjd discovered America about 5 miles South of Yantis Texas. On this day 77 years later by good health and good luck I am still going not as strong as in the past. Never planned on any thing long term just took each day as it came and tried to make the best of it.

hurleyjd":11bgd590 said:
Columbus discovered America in 1492. 449 years later Hurleyjd discovered America about 5 miles South of Yantis Texas. On this day 77 years later by good health and good luck I am still going not as strong as in the past. Never planned on any thing long term just took each day as it came and tried to make the best of it.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leif_Erikson
Being of Norwegian decent I beg to differ on the discovery of America. 77 years is a big number, congratulations.

True Grit Farms":2nx22p28 said:
Being of Norwegian decent I beg to differ on the discovery of America. 77 years is a big number, congratulations.
I agree on both counts.

True Grit Farms":1uhtohtk said:
hurleyjd":1uhtohtk said:

That's not what I learned in school. Must be revisionist history created by some liberal.

Bestoutwest":1zxrdpzm said:
True Grit Farms":1zxrdpzm said:
hurleyjd":1zxrdpzm said:

That's not what I learned in school. Must be revisionist history created by some liberal.
You should have had Norwegian teachers, you would have learned it right.

dun":b09iwmrb said:

I was just kidding. I've done some reading on the early settlements found in Canada and it's pretty fascinating. The only reason that Columbus gets all the news is that the Vikings were smart and kept their mouths shut about how special North America was.

Bestoutwest":f981dg7v said:
dun":f981dg7v said:

I was just kidding. I've done some reading on the early settlements found in Canada and it's pretty fascinating. The only reason that Columbus gets all the news is that the Vikings were smart and kept their mouths shut about how special North America was.
I didn;t really have any Norwegian teachers. My Grandfather came to the US all by himself in 1882 at the age of 13.

dun":2yonhzgj said:
Bestoutwest":2yonhzgj said:
True Grit Farms":2yonhzgj said:

Y'all should go do a few years on the rez. That's where you'll learn the truth.

Farm Fence Solutions":27adz9jl said:

I've read extensively about the history of the formation of our country. Several big takeaways I had were:
1) The Native Americans really, really got screwed.
2) They are wicked warriors
3) They had a massively fascinating society, and were extremely in-tune with the natural world that was almost mystical.

Bestoutwest":10z56u6c said:
Farm Fence Solutions":10z56u6c said:

I've read extensively about the history of the formation of our country. Several big takeaways I had were:
3) They had a massively fascinating society, and were extremely in-tune with the natural world that was almost mystical.

All very true. The years I spent on The Rosebud were some of the most enjoyable I've had.

Farm Fence Solutions":25td2593 said:
Bestoutwest":25td2593 said:
Farm Fence Solutions":25td2593 said:

All very true. The years I spent on The Rosebud were some of the most enjoyable I've had.

We had a reservation in the town I grew up in. It was quite eye opening as to how that side of society lives. A lot of falsities, but a lot of truths, too. It's an experience I'm glad I had.

Being of Swedish ancestry I am certain that it wasn't Norwegian Vikings that found their way to North America. They had to be Swedish Vikings. I would refer you to the famous battle of the weeds where 10,000 Norwegians were chased through the weeds by one lonely Swede...... ;-)

Dave":ryi9s2sy said:
Being of Swedish ancestry I am certain that it wasn't Norwegian Vikings that found their way to North America. They had to be Swedish Vikings. I would refer you to the famous battle of the weeds where 10,000 Norwegians were chased through the weeds by one lonely Swede...... ;-)
If he would have had his pants on they probably wouldn;t have run

Farm Fence Solutions":2j55bskn said:
dun":2j55bskn said:
Bestoutwest":2j55bskn said:

I was on the Barona reservation fire dept for 4-5 years, only non-indian. Was really an intersting time. Having been married to an Indian previously gave me a different view of things then most outsiders had.

Jogeephus":21fufkhy said:
Biggest mistake the indians made was not having a written lease with the BLM. :hide:

I highly doubt they could have gotten one if they tried.

Bestoutwest":nz9kg7t0 said:
Jogeephus":nz9kg7t0 said:
Biggest mistake the indians made was not having a written lease with the BLM. :hide:

I highly doubt they could have gotten one if they tried.

If they had the fine print and BLM management would have been a much worse deal than the one they did get.

I live next to a big reservation. The old place was just a couple miles from a reservation. The chief of that tribe was my boys Babe Ruth baseball coach. And when riding rodeos i traveled with a couple Indian guys from two different tribes.

True Grit Farms":1umv9jn5 said:
hurleyjd":1umv9jn5 said:

My guess is that America was discovered and inhabited much sooner than when either the Vikings or Columbus came here. I think Columbus goal was to prove that you could sail west and go around the globe get to the Indies without going overland. The belief by some at that time was the earth was flat and if you sailed further enough you would fall off of the edge and never to be seen again. There was a stone found in Oklahoma called the Heavner stone (http://newsok.com/article/5416047))because where it was found.