Colostrum

Help Support CattleToday:

angus9259":2ktblwru said:
rockridgecattle":2ktblwru said:
that cow tested postive for BVD PI right?

Do you really want to risk it? Colostrum sets the stage for what happens in life for that calf....?

No, I wouldn't do that. I have them dying left and right over here. The place is littered with frozen calf corpses. At least there's no shortage of colostrum.

NOT PI - different cow.

I'd like to see solid research backing up the claims about dairy vs beef quality. It doesnt seem right to me, that you need more colostrum from the dairy cow to get the same Ig level. Cos, really, does the newborn dairy calf suck anymore milk in the first six hours than a newborn beef calf :???:

Keren":1z251xdg said:
I'd like to see solid research backing up the claims about dairy vs beef quality. It doesnt seem right to me, that you need more colostrum from the dairy cow to get the same Ig level. Cos, really, does the newborn dairy calf suck anymore milk in the first six hours than a newborn beef calf :???:

The only colostrum measurmeant device I've ever seen used is a meter that works off of the bouyancy of the measuring device. The thicker the colostrum the higher it floats and is accepted as an indecation of quality

dun":1lod09ku said:
The only colostrum measurmeant device I've ever seen used is a meter that works off of the bouyancy of the measuring device. The thicker the colostrum the higher it floats and is accepted as an indecation of quality

We used one of those at the breeding farm (horse) where I used to work, a colostrometer (I think that's how its spelled). We tested the colostrum from each mare as they foaled, any mare that had really rich stuff, we milked out a bit of it and put in the freezer for 'just-in-case'.

Katherine

Hillsddown, here is the second article and link from the cattle network
http://www.cattlenetwork.com/Baby_Calf_ ... tid=266634

Colostrum is the primary source of immediate natural protection. Ingestion of this antibody (immunoglobulin) rich milk is critical for newborn calf survival. The dam's serum antibodies (IgGs) are concentrated in the udder as colostrum during the last month of pregnancy. The concentration of antibodies is lower in heifers as compared to mature cows. For maximum protection, an adequate amount must be delivered within 4 to 12 hours of birth. Colostrum in the beef cow tends to be more concentrated than in the dairy cow. Generally speaking, a 75-pound calf ingesting 2 to 3 quarts of its mother's milk in the first 12 hours after birth will receive adequate colostrum. But what can be done for the calf whose dam has no milk or is otherwise deprived of colostrum? The best substitute for the natural mother's colostrum is colostrum from another cow. This can be collected and kept frozen in quart containers. However, many modern freezers that have an automatic defrosting system may cause the frozen colostrum to lose a percentage of its protective antibodies when stored over a long period of time (e.g., 12 months).

Some care must be taken when thawing frozen colostrum. Studies have shown that rapid defrosting using boiling temperatures destroys a portion of the colostrum by destroying the protein antibodies. These same studies have shown that defrosting in a microwave at settings above 60 percent power has the same result. Two methods that can be recommended are: a warm water thaw where the container (1 or 2 quarts) of colostrum is immersed in 110°F water and stirred every 5 minutes to assure even thawing and warming (continue this process until colostrum reaches 104°F); or use of a microwave oven set at no more than 60 percent power. Again, agitate frequently to assure even warming and thawing, and stop when the colostrums reaches 104°F. Either process will take approximately 40 minutes.

We cannot assume that the antibody concentration in the colostrum of all cows or heifers is equal. In fact, studies have shown that the antibody concentration varies considerably from cow to cow, breed to breed, and heifer to heifer. There is no practical way to measure with certainty the antibody concentration of colostrums before delivery. Colostrometer measurements are helpful but may vary also. However, fresh or fresh-frozen and properly thawed colostrum is still the best source of natural protection for a newborn calf.

Source: Donald E Hansen, Extension Veterinarian, Oregon State University

and another link to the same article
http://www.iowabeefcenter.org/pdfs/bch/03050.pdf

another link
http://msucares.com/news/print/cvm/cvm00/000508jm.htm
"After the test cows gave birth, they were milked and the colostrum tested for quality before feeding to the calf. The specific gravity of the colostrum was measured. A reading of 70 micrograms per milliliter or greater provides the necessary volume of antibodies needed for immunity. The average score for dairy cows is between 50 and 60, whereas beef cows have much higher scores, between 300 and 400. First-calf heifers have lower scores, but as the animal matures, the level of antibodies in the colostrum increases."

Just a cut and paste from another link. If anyone wants to read it is half way down

RR - not wanting to pick a fight here but do you have any research papers published in peer reviewed scientific journals showing the difference in quality between beef and dairy colostrum?

If I were to make this statement in one of my uni papers that is how I would be expected to back it up, and so I am just curious to see the correct research behind it.

no fight intended
Only research i have is research I found on the web from ag gov extension offices The last sight i posted seem to have more on the research side of things.

Alas, It has been 22 years since i have been in school so the research skill is a little numb. I just googled " are beef colostrum and dairy colostrum equal?"
If you want more research, you got to help. No fight picking here either. Good for us to all know.

Inquiring minds want to know.
I used the old colostrum last night and the calf looks fine today. Picked up some today from a dairy and had to use some of it tonight 10:00pm. Neither might not have needed it but it was 1F last night and 3F now so with heifers I did not want to take a chance. Will see down the road if I done the right thing. Keep posting on the better colostrum. At least no one has said that the powered is the way to go.

We always have the powder on hand. We do not have any dairies around here any more. And personally i would not use dairy or any other off farm not checked colostrum. The stuff we buy has atleast 100Ig

Of all the dairys in the area there is only one that I'll get it from. 2 bucks a gallon frozen isn;t a bad deal. Just before calving season I'll get a gallon and stick it in the freezer, if I need more I just give them a call. Last month I threw out the stuff that I got from them last spring since I didn't need any. Through the years we've fed it to quite a few Braunvieh calves, Red Angus, Hereford, blk Angus, various crosses. Of all the calves we've fed it too only one didn;t make it but he turned up with horrible joint/navel ill and after a week just plant him.

Latest posts