• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Colostrum

Perry

Reaction score
If you have to give a calf colostrum, when do you stop giving it? After 1 or 2 feedings or is it a length of time like days?

Perry

dun

Reaction score
A calfs digestive system cannot absorbe the anitbodies after 24 hours of age. But, if you have some extra , I've never seen the harm in feeding it for seve4ral days. This is just a personal thing, but I thing the added nutrition of the stuff sure can't hurt and maybe even helps give them a little boost. My old mentor used to feed it for 3 days, had very few sick calves and they seemed to alwasy do well. I wouldn't go buy the stuff, but if it's available, why not feed it?

dun

dun

Reaction score
It's appropriate!
I can't get the entire thing on there but the heading of it si "My name is Fred, I'm your computer date"

dun

D.R. Cattle":2h5s9o1h said:
Hey Dun what's with the "Old Goat"?

A

Anonymous

With out a doubt the first milk or colostrum is the most important thing that you can give a calf

A

Anonymous

Do most of you keep colostrum on hand during calving season? Also, can it be purchased from feed stores or TSC as some type of mix?

jfont

Reaction score
I agree with dun on the feeding period.

I wouldn't buy much ahead of time. It's not hard to come by, but you could keep a bag on hand just in case your luck is like mine and you need some on a saturday night and the feed store doesn't open until monday.

shorty

Reaction score
I try to keep a pack of colostrum mix on hand especially when we have heifers expecting their first calf, If we're there we like to give them some right away , sometimes the heifer doesn't get the calf drinking as soon as she should . the colostrum mix also gives you some extra e-coli protection as well

TLCfromARK

Reaction score
We use a bolus for our colostrum on new calves , morning and evening for two days but only if the calf has trouble getting hooked up with their Momma.

;-)

Latest posts