Colostrum

Help Support CattleToday:

dj

Reaction score
If you were trying to milk the colostrum out would you get some from every quater? Or could you milk it all out of one quater? How much (volume) would you take to get all the colostrum? Cow lost her calf at birth so am trying to get something out of it.

Milk out all 4 quarters as much as you can get. Give the calf about 2 quarts as soon as possible. Millk the cow again a few hours later, give that to the calf...etc. After 24 hours it's kinda late in the game for the calf to absorb all it needs. Also a pack of Life Line to go with the colostrum isn't a bad idea if you have it. It is a colostrum supplement.

I got 1 1/2 gals out of all four quarters( 3 milkings) total. I couldn't see any difference in the color. It will freeze OK right? And when I go to thaw is it better to heat like a baby bottle or thaw on the counter? Never tried saving colostrum/milk before.

dj":3ngarc4z said:
I got 1 1/2 gals out of all four quarters( 3 milkings) total. I couldn't see any difference in the color. It will freeze OK right? And when I go to thaw is it better to heat like a baby bottle or thaw on the counter? Never tried saving colostrum/milk before.

Thaw it in warm, not hot water. Freezing it in smaller containers helps to thaw it when you need it. We have some frozen in gallon jugs and I thaw it in warm water, pour off that which is thawed and feed it then put the container in the fridge if I won;t need it for a while, or leave it in the water if I'll be using it again shortly. If I won;t need anymore I just chunk it back into the freezer for the next time.

dun

Latest posts