Colostrum Feeding – To Nurse or Not to Nurse

Help Support CattleToday:

icandoit

Reaction score
What do you guys think of this article? I can't imagine you guys that have a regular job and have , say, 20 to 50 head of cattle and cows are dropping calves like flies in the spring, able to do this on any regular basis.

Calf Notes.com © 2001 by Dr. Jim Quigley Page 1

Calf Note #01 – Colostrum Feeding – To Nurse or Not to Nurse

Introduction

When a calf is born, a common question is whether to let the calf nurse the dam, or to separate the two and feed the calf with a nipple bottle or esophageal feeder. I'd like to suggest that allowing the calf to nurse the dam is a bad idea. Usually a very bad idea. To understand the reason that allowing the calf to nurse usually increases the incidence of morbidity and mortality (sickness and death), its important to understand the two most important things about colostrum consumption. Colostrum provides the calf with immunoglobulins (Ig, also called antibodies) that provide the passive immunity the calf so desperately needs for the first two months or so of life. Calves are born without any Ig, so if the calf doesn't get these Ig within the first 24 hours after birth, the chances of survival are not great. You can do yourself (and your calves) a favor by making sure that calves drink enough colostrum within those all important 24 hours.
The single most important component to successfully transferring Ig from cow to calf through colostrum is the consumption of sufficient colostrum. Calves must consume enough colostrum to provide the Ig needed for passive immunity. That's where allowing the calf to nurse the dam usually
fails - calves that nurse usually don't consume as much colostrum as when the calf is bottle fed or fed through an esophageal feeder. Most research indicates that calves consume small meals and don't consume enough colostrum to achieve successful passive transfer. Estimates of the number of calves that don't consume sufficient colostrum range from 25 to 40%. That's a lot of at-risk calves.

The other most important component of colostrum feeding is feed it early. How early? Well, the efficiency with which a calf can absorb Ig declines within one hour after birth and is gone by 24 hours. But the first few hours are critical - therefore, early colostrum is especially important to
acquisition of passive immunity to the calf. Delays in first feeding of colostrum not only cause a decline in efficiency of absorption but can lead to disease and even death if bacteria can colonize the intestine before the colostrum gets there. Many calves - especially large calves that have experienced a difficult birth won't get up quickly after they are born. The delay in standing can further reduce the ability of the intestine to absorb Ig, thereby making the calf more susceptible to disease.

Calves left to nurse the dam can sometimes fail to find the udder or teats, and as a result don't get enough colostrum and start drinking that colostrum later than if they were bottle fed. The situation gets even worse if your cows have large pendulous udders that are low to the ground. Because a calf's natural tendency is to nurse up, it may spend many frustrating hours trying to find the udder. Instead of nursing colostrum, it spends its time trying to find the udder, and maybe ingesting
bedding or feces that can contain deadly bacteria.

The bottom line is this - calves left to nurse the dam are at greater risk of consuming insufficient colostrum and consuming that colostrum later than when they are fed by nipple bottle. Whenever possible, you should separate your calves from their mothers as soon as possible and feed it as much fresh, high quality colostrum as the calf will consume. If it won't voluntarily consume enough colostrum, then don't hesitate to reach for the esophageal feeder.

Or for college teachings. Those that can, do - those that can't, teach. Sounds good in a text book but very impractical in the real world.

Farmhand":3k8s6794 said:
Or for college teachings. Those that can, do - those that can't, teach. Sounds good in a text book but very impractical in the real world.
If it wasn't for teachers everyone else would have to learn everything by trial and error. 40 or 45 would be old age and a lot of people here wouldn't be here. On the other hand, I think there are too many people. I know this because of the proliferation of Wally Worlds and McDonalds.

yeah I know Ryder. We need teachers and I know I sure wouldn't want the job. It's just sometimes I wish they would really stop and think about what they are teaching. I think everyone has pretty much agreed that this article would be very impractical. A lot of articles from dr.'s are connected with universities or colleges. It sounds great in their textbooks but have they tried to do it on a typical operation. Testing it on their operation doesn't count either. I don't have all those college kids helping me do this here. Anyway - for the most part I do applaud teachers.

Then you reach the categories of "text book smart" hands on Dumba$$.I have to be kind about teachers,my Mom's one so is the Mother Outlaw! All kidding aside teachers have it rough in most aspects, especially the paycheck.

Ryder":1ii0ja46 said:
Reads to me like it is written for dairy farmers raising replacement heifers.
They will soon be bottle feeding anyway.
Not practical for cow/calf beef operation.

I'll go along with that! Or it's some guy that just wants to have "published" something on his resume.
Dairys are really an artificle environment and need different managment. If it was such an evil thing for a beef calf, how is it that they've survived for so long in the real world? If this was done routinely with beef caaves, I would think that you would eventually end up with a bunch of weak poor doing cattle. If a calf is a poor sucker at birth, you wouldn;t know and could possibly end up keeping it as a replacement.

dun

dun":4bsk37j7 said:
If this was done routinely with beef caaves, I would think that you would eventually end up with a bunch of weak poor doing cattle. If a calf is a poor sucker at birth, you wouldn;t know and could possibly end up keeping it as a replacement.

dun

That's what I want. A whole herd of calves that have to be bottle fed at birth. Hell, why stop there just put them in a squeeze chute their whole lives and feed them IV so the always get exactly what they need when they need it. When I get up for the 2am calving check, I want to find a calf with a full belly, a momma with clean teats and me back in the bed before it gets cold.

Latest posts