colostrum deficency

Help Support CattleToday:

Beefy":86kfp4dd said:
dun":86kfp4dd said:
Some did, some didn't. I know that's pretty ambiguous but it depended on the reason they needed the extra treatment in the first place.
One heifer from last year that did catch up we kept as a replacement.

dun

*GASP!* You mean you kept a calf you had to fiddle with as a replacement?! You are sooo crossed off the list now... lol

Ah well, such is life. Such is life

dun

TheBullLady":1p3tdy7t said:
I've got a nifty little gadget I got from our vet up north that actually measures the quality of colostrom from a cow / heifer. The best quality I've gotten was out of a 5 year old Simmental / Holstein cross. I froze a lot of that!

What is this nifty little gadget? How does it work? What does it measure?

We try to save colostrum out of old cows figuring they have more immunities.

Oh, Beefy, cross me off you list, yes we will save a heifer out of a cow over 12 even if we do have to milk her as long as her bag was good up until then. Oh shame, oh shame.

:oops:

TheBullLady":ebrtp6fb said:
I've got a nifty little gadget I got from our vet up north that actually measures the quality of colostrom from a cow / heifer. The best quality I've gotten was out of a 5 year old Simmental / Holstein cross. I froze a lot of that!
=================

TheBullLady,

Can you share what the nifty little gadget is? Is it available?

We keep colostrom...frozen... from one of the pet cows each time she has a baby. It has come in handy.

You can get them from Nasco & Valley Vet & possibly KV Vet . They are called Colostrometer.

Just kidding, i have no list. if i did we would ALL be on it and we ALL know it.