colostrum bolus

Help Support CattleToday:

carla

Reaction score
What do you guys think of giving a colostrum bolus at birth on all calves just to give them some extra colostrum? Think it might help on controlling scours? I just bought a bottle of 25 for $8.00. Its a lot cheaper than poly serum. I usually just use it during the cold wet calving months. What does everybody think?

carla":1pinrl5i said:
What do you guys think of giving a colostrum bolus at birth on all calves just to give them some extra colostrum? Think it might help on controlling scours? I just bought a bottle of 25 for $8.00. Its a lot cheaper than poly serum. I usually just use it during the cold wet calving months. What does everybody think?

I just make sure I have good, healthy mama cows who have been properly vaccinated. Their colostrum will have everything that particular calf needs to survive in our environment. Our vet says the only colostrum that is going to do any good is that from our own herd, because they have the immunity to the bugs in their immediate environment. I always milk colostrum from one of our older beef cows and put a few quarts in the freezer, just in case.

Latest posts