Colors

Help Support CattleToday:

Good info. I'm glad that someone finally found the color/price information in print, now maybe others will believe it.

rgv4":1c2dfbdy said:
Good info. I'm glad that someone finally found the color/price information in print, now maybe others will believe it.

But remember that it was done in AR and could have been done anytime from 2000 till now. I think that currently thee color thing doesn't make that much difference if only because they need to keep those feedlots full

dun

Well the guy down the road sold some calves last week that the majority were red white face hereford crosses along with a few black calves. He reported that the black's did much better than the red white face crosses.
He watched the sale and stated pretty much the same stats as is in the report. However, the feedlots must be getting full, prices have dropped a couple of dollars in the last couple of weeks.

What I was getting at was that it's really a pretty small study and may not be indicitive of all markets. In the immediate area Herefords get killed at the sale, closer to KS and the market for them goes up a bunch.

dun

Right now as is the case in most places all colors are selling really good provided its a good looking calf. Even with the market the way it is now the blacks and the charlois crosses bring the highest and they go nuts for the black baldies.

Calves of all colors (except longhorns and herefords) are doing well at my local sale right now. Longhorns and herefords always trade at a discount in this area.

JB