Colors in genetics...

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I've seen and heard that grey mares only have grey foals. And I've heard that Palamino mares always have palamino foals does anybody know if this is true or if any other colors of horses always breed true? Thanks in advance Jake

[email protected]

I think grey is dominant to anything. If a horse throws a grey gene the foal will be grey. I believe palaminos can have sorrel/chestnut(i can't remember which), palamino, or cremello. Palaminos are sorrels or chestnuts with a creme gene just like a buckskin is a bay with a creme gene. Try this site. They have some good info on color genetics. <A HREF="http://ultimatehorsesite.com" TARGET="_blank">http://ultimatehorsesite.com</A>

[email protected]

> I think grey is dominant to
> anything. If a horse throws a grey
> gene the foal will be grey. I
> believe palaminos can have
> sorrel/chestnut(i can't remember
> which), palamino, or cremello.
> Palaminos are sorrels or chestnuts
> with a creme gene just like a
> buckskin is a bay with a creme
> gene. Try this site. They have
> some good info on color genetics.
> <A HREF="http://ultimatehorsesite.com/horsecolor/" TARGET="_blank">http://ultimatehorsesite.com/horsecolor/</A>

[email protected]

> I've seen and heard that grey
> mares only have grey foals. And
> I've heard that Palamino mares
> always have palamino foals does
> anybody know if this is true or if
> any other colors of horses always
> breed true? Thanks in advance Jake

Jake,I have been breeding Arabians all my life.Just as anything elce in life the genes don't run true all the time. Today I own a red chestnut Arabian, both sire and Dam are Dark bays The dam side has alot of Grey and the sire produces mostly bays, out of 122 pure bred foals only 18 are chestnut.Weird Eh? The Dam who is a dark bay has a full blood sister who is a white grey.She will produce grey most of the time but because there is strong color up close she has produced color as well. Because I love the palamino color I also tried to breed that color. I wanted the intence color to be dark with no black smuttiness, White tails etc.. I found that the really dark red chestnuts or sorrels as they are called in some breeds do the best job of breeding true, to color. However I have also seen black mares breed good color and bred to a palamino I have seen them black mares produce a very red foal. The breeders cross back and forth from red to palamino and back.It is said that breeding a palomino to a red mare will get you a 4-1 palomino foal. Hope that helps alittle..

[email protected]

> Jake,I have been breeding Arabians
> all my life.Just as anything elce
> in life the genes don't run true
> all the time. Today I own a red
> chestnut Arabian, both sire and
> Dam are Dark bays The dam side has
> alot of Grey and the sire produces
> mostly bays, out of 122 pure bred
> foals only 18 are chestnut.Weird
> Eh? The Dam who is a dark bay has
> a full blood sister who is a white
> grey.She will produce grey most of
> the time but because there is
> strong color up close she has
> produced color as well. Because I
> love the palamino color I also
> tried to breed that color. I
> wanted the intence color to be
> dark with no black smuttiness,
> White tails etc.. I found that the
> really dark red chestnuts or
> sorrels as they are called in some
> breeds do the best job of breeding
> true, to color. However I have
> also seen black mares breed good
> color and bred to a palamino I
> have seen them black mares produce
> a very red foal. The breeders
> cross back and forth from red to
> palamino and back.It is said that
> breeding a palomino to a red mare
> will get you a 4-1 palomino foal.
> Hope that helps alittle..

Also I forgot to share if you breed a palomino to a palomino you will get a cream colored foal they will lighten about 3% in color each time but you will never get the leatheal white gene. However if you breed back to a chestnut/sorrel at any time you will get a palomino.I understand that palomino runs on a yellow spectrum of color and bay on a red so the difference in colored foals,Palomino vrs, Buckskin.

Good Luck !!

[email protected]

Latest posts