Coloring question...

Help Support CattleToday:

Dogs and Cows":2hipnom9 said:
Caustic Burno":2hipnom9 said:
Being he is solid color the dam has a recessive gene for white face I own several. The calf has a red tint look I bet it will darken up

Caustic, does that mean she could still be pure Hereford? A recessive gene for white face?
Thanks! This place always has the info!
Tim[\quote]

Yes she could having one recessive gene you could get two out of four with no white face. I still have a few registered girls that haven't aged out one with a recessive gene that has a solid black calf this year.
The cow calf in the background is solid black out of registered Angus and Hereford

First time I ever saw it, it happened to one of mine and I assumed someone had lied to me.
Then saw/heard it happened a few times to others and now just assume yep it can happen, mine turned dark with age.

no, won't be 'pure' Hereford regardless of the hair coloration. Not if bred to Angus bull anyway.
I've never seen a pure hereford have a black nose either.

And I agree, it's hair will darken up. Might change some with the seasons, but it will be more black than red.
(I was referring to the calf..may have mis-understood the question that was asked.)

If she truly is purebred Hereford which you really have no way of knowing without having papers on her then there is a small possibility that she could be carrying the diluter gene which can result in a grey color when mating with a black animal. That's just snowballing another possibility but the diluter gene is technically a breed impurity too. There probably is a better chance that she is not a purebred Hereford than there is she is purebred and carrying the diluter.

You have a nice healthy calf out of heifer that you say is doing a good job so that's a win no matter how you look at it.

SPH":3f22qfr2 said:
If she truly is purebred Hereford which you really have no way of knowing without having papers on her then there is a small possibility that she could be carrying the diluter gene which can result in a grey color when mating with a black animal. That's just snowballing another possibility but the diluter gene is technically a breed impurity too. There probably is a better chance that she is not a purebred Hereford than there is she is purebred and carrying the diluter.

You have a nice healthy calf out of heifer that you say is doing a good job so that's a win no matter how you look at it.

Angus bull could carry a red recessive gene as well

Bigfoot":2d0qxyk4 said:
I don't believe that dam is all hereford.
I have a problem with the goggle eyes and lack of feather neck.
There were some of those goggle eyes that popped up in the breed and ended up being green papered.
It was about the time all the shenanigans started in all the breeds.

I ran registered Hereford for years the first time I got solid black calf out of a Brangus bull I had to get a geneticist from the AHA to explain it to me.
I had one line that would throw a black from time to time. They were registered for generations traceable to the first polled Hereford book.

greybeard":27d28hk0 said:
Bigfoot":27d28hk0 said:
What do you think is in her woodpile?

Not sure, but she doesnt scream purebred to me. I personally wouldn't care on one like that. She had a live calf, and she looks she likes it.

She looks like what we call a red neck here. Is there any white on her neck?

I believe that the calf will get darker with age and eventually be pretty well black in several months. Nice cow and calf by the way. I would also guess that she isn't a purebred Hereford. I have a few cows that are marked similar to her, but with a little different look as far as ear and head shape, that are part Santa Gertrudis. They sometimes have calves that are born that color and solid or with almost no white on the face.
I agree with Bigfoot, she looks like what we call a red neck here too, and they are usually pretty good cattle.

I also don't think she is purebred. Probably Hereford red angus cross or something else. Hasn't Hereford markings but made like an angus.

midTN_Brangusman":12a4qox1 said:
I also don't think she is purebred. Probably Hereford red angus cross or something else.
Hasn't Hereford markings but made like an angus.
Angus x Hereford x red angus a brockled face is much more common than a solid face.
Appears both the momma and calf are off to a good start which is what really matters and he didn't pay for a registered hereford, but color oddities can make for interesting discussions.

Caustic Burno":3iqv6o1i said:
dun":3iqv6o1i said:
Bigfoot":3iqv6o1i said:
Me too!
Her bloodlines could run back to the green papered cows.
That was before DNA testing there was a lot of hanky panky going on in the breed associations in those days.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1987 ... bull-herds
Which is why I think she has something else in there. Maybe back generations, but something over came the homozygous white face gene.

Latest posts